DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I tried to search this topic but not sure if it is there. But if this topic has been discussed before, please direct me to it.

Here is my situation.
My house was built back in 1954 or so. The Electrical panel is running an old panel with 100amp. I am in San Leandro, CA. So, the panel are pretty outdated and recently we experience flickering lights.

We called PG&E to check and they determine the income wire to the meter is corroded. Then I had an electrician to check it out. two things that was determine: 1. corroded incoming power line to the meter. 2. two of my 20amps breaker failed. (he replaced them)

The Corroded wire was a bit lose and the metal that hold it together is corroded as well and can only last for couple weeks.

With this situation, I would want to upgrade the panel. I want to upgrade to 200 amp panel.

Do I need to re-run new wires inside the house with grounding? As you all know, older homes has only two wires (Hot and neutral line) no ground. Is it safe to upgrade 200amps and use the existing wires inside the house?
If I do need to re-run new wires, do I just need to run the wires from the panel to the split of the outlets and light switches or I need to run all new wires?

And do I need to pay to get the 200amp power from PGE?

Also, does anyone here know how much on average to upgrade the panel? Does anyone here know? I got quoted for $3000.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

·
Super Moderator
20,937 Posts
Normally upgrading the panel does also require rewiring the whole. But you live in California. So who knows what they require. Your electrician should be able to tell you. A call to the local town office should also be able to tell you.

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,835 Posts
Normally upgrading the panel does also require rewiring the whole. But you live in California. So who knows what they require. Your electrician should be able to tell you. A call to the local town office should also be able to tell you.
Not in place I have ever lived does a panel/service change require all the wiring to be replaced. Certainly not a NEC requirement.

Sent from my RCT6203W46 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeffmattero76

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
I have never heard of needing to rewire a house due to a panel upgrade.

If you have not added significant load there is little need to upgrade.

Reactions: jeffmattero76

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are two distinct things being discussed here (and being mixed up).

1. Replacing a main panel. In most cases, replacing a panel does not require replacing the branch wiring. The AHJ is the only one who can say for sure.

2. A service upgrade. The electric company may refuse to run a new service line and connect a new meter to a main panel that does not meet their requirements (which are free to be stricter or more arbitrary than the code). There may be some shady tricks to get around this, such as using a separate meter box and "A" Panel outside, then keeping your existing stuff as a "B" Panel inside.

But if you want to cut corners and have an ungrounded house with ancient wiring, why bother doing anything at all? Doing things right is often difficult and/or expensive. That's life.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
quote [ Do I need to re-run new wires inside the house with grounding? ]

NO !

you can have a high level of protection using GFCI and no earth.
If you add new circuits, then earth may be required.
Depending on your area and relevent codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts