DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Remove the CPVC and threaded adapter from the valve. Cut a new piece of CPVC and glue a threaded adapter to it. Screw threaded adapter into valve. Cut to pipe to fit. Remove clamps securing pipe to wall. May have to remove several clamps. Glue regular coupling on one piece. Prime and glue other pipe and coupling, bend pipe out from wall (shorting it) and insert pipe into coupling. Reinstall clamps.
Warming pipe with hair dryer will soften it making it easier to bend.

·
Naildriver
18,522 Posts
I agree with Harold. The longer pipe you have to work with in free air, the better chance of a good connection will be had. Just loosen at least one or more of the wall clamps and pull it away from the wall and flex in a new pipe with female fitting for the valve. Then glue a coupling on the free end to the existing pipe.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and just pushed that top coupling down a little further than it had to be, then while the glue was still wet I slid it up so that it should be secure to both pipes. This is weird because I've done similar repairs many times and never had this issue. It must just be because there's not enough flexibility in the pipes. Perhaps I should always use PEX pipe where possible. I guess I'll find out the results in about 12 hours when I try to turn the water on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Very aesthetically unpleasing, in my opinion.

Regardless, it works. When you have a leak and want it gone, you do what's needed.

Besides, looking at the OP's pic, I wouldn't say that is aesthetically pleasing either.

I doubt that anyone is going to stand looking at the pipe and say "why that's terrible to look at!'. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
how far below the ground is the 90 elbow connection to horizontal? I might have dug down if it's an easy dig (it's always an easy sandy dig in Florida and never too deep) so I night have dug down to the horizontal pipe and replace all the way from there up including the valve with copper. having CPVC there outside where a lawn equipment or a shovel can damage it easily. I have done the 4 elbow "cheats" but usually it's just for sprinkler PVC lines strangled by big roots where there isn't really any room not even a slip coupling since they are much bigger in diameter.

Don't forget to paint the new pipes, CPVC and sunlight exposure don't go well together. Might consider putting something to protect it from accidental damages.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how far below the ground is the 90 elbow connection to horizontal? I might have dug down if it's an easy dig (it's always an easy sandy dig in Florida and never too deep) so I night have dug down to the horizontal pipe and replace all the way from there up including the valve with copper. having CPVC there outside where a lawn equipment or a shovel can damage it easily. I have done the 4 elbow "cheats" but usually it's just for sprinkler PVC lines strangled by big roots where there isn't really any room not even a slip coupling since they are much bigger in diameter.

Don't forget to paint the new pipes, CPVC and sunlight exposure don't go well together. Might consider putting something to protect it from accidental damages.
All I can say at this point is "Congratulations, good job".
When I went to Home Depot, the slip couplings were referred to as adjustable repair couplings. And they only work with PVC. So I would have had to buy a PVC to CPVC adapter.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and replaced the the valve and got a slip coupling. I am able to get the slip coupling on about 1/4". It still has about 3/4" to go and it is so difficult to slide the SharkBite when I'm squeezing the bottom of it. It seems like it shouldn't be this difficult it is literally impossible. I even tried moving it down first and then back up which is something I read on Google, but this isn't helping. What do you recommend?

It's leaking from red arrow because it's not on enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Read instructions.

The 1/2 in. SharkBite Slip Coupling is an innovative repair coupling that allows you to make a quick repair on copper or CPVC Pipe. The slip coupling allows up to 2 in. of damaged pipe to be removed and repaired. Simply insert the slip coupling on to the pipe and using the SharkBite demount clip to slip the fitting back onto the other end of pipe completing the connection.
You will use the the demount (removal clip) on the lower end to unlock it and slide it up onto the upper pipe.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.