DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my question in full. I have a 1350 sq. ft. building. Its two floors and completely open. There are literally no walls in the entire place. Theres a stair well thats open and that is it. The only thing closed in is a small bathroom.

So my new furnace unit is downstairs and the outflow leg is up and has 5 blowing upstairs and 5 blowing downstairs. I just went to the to get a filter register to attach to the inflow opening and to slide a filter in. The guy at the metal place said I need a full on second leg running along side the outflow leg that comes down to the inflow opening yadda yadda yadda.

Now everything is already up and in place and I would really like to avoid the labor all again but is this absolutely necessary or will I be fine with a simple Filter register that sits out about 4 inches from the unit?

I didn't do all of the work myself as it was advised against as this is not necessarily a "DIY Friendly" field but it would require a lot more time and work to coordinate my assistant to come back and help install a second leg.

·
Administrator
41,824 Posts
Please post pics of your furnace and duct work. Not sure what you mean. But you are probably fine with what you have.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Depends on what kind of furnace you have. An 80% eff is going to need the return at least 10' from the furnace, an electric or 90% eff gas will not.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Open combustion chamber and the chance of the return drawing fumes. What the OP has planned would fail inspection here but not everybody enforces all the codes or even uses the same code book. I'd assume the local hvac shop making the duct knows what's required to pass inspection there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts