• Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you first receive them......
Reason I ask......everyone says YES!

But There is no mention of it in the manufacturers documentation.
Midea Dehumidfier as well as many other brands do not mention any need to let them sit upright for 24 hours (or any time) before use.

I fully understand about the oil in refrigeration systems. I've charged and added oil to automotive and home HVAC systems more times than I can count.
Naturally, I would have thought dehumidifiers needed the same time to allow the oil to migrate back to the compressor bottom before running it.
But again, MANY dehumidifiers make no mention of it.
Do they use different oils? Oil-less compressors? Have designs that circumvent the problem?

Also, some dehumidifiers say to let them run continuously for 24 hours on the first run. Why is that?

Thanks

·
Naildriver
18,490 Posts
As far as I recall, refrigerator manufacturers don't mention it either. But it is common sense to do so for any appliance that has had the oil displaced from the compressor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I recall, refrigerator manufacturers don't mention it either. But it is common sense to do so for any appliance that has had the oil displaced from the compressor.
Hello,
I would agree.
However, lacking that advice in the users guide, it brings to question if it is really necessary with certain devices.
It would certainly seem that if there was even a possibility of damage to the compressor from not waiting for any oil to settle then the user guide would say to do so.
Don't you think they would suffer significant warranty claims and returns (and therefore losses) if it was necessary and they failed to say so?

The thought being perhaps the manufacturer and their engineers know that it is not necessary in certain cases. perhaps the oil is so thin that it readily runs back into the compressor as soon as it is set upright. Perhaps they have a reservoir system that keeps oil in the compressor regardless.

I do in fact have two new refrigerators that specifically state that you must wait 24 hours for the oil to return to the compressor.

So I was mostly wondering if anyone knew specifically what might lead to an exception to the "common sense" and popular advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Moam,

Why don't you call the manufacturer and ask to speak w the technical support team ?? Then, whatever their answer is, get the email address of the person you spoke w and ask for them to put it in writing. Or, send them an email w the accurate summary and ask them to respond that your summary is correct. Then, if you have any warranty issues, you are covered.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Moam,

Why don't you call the manufacturer and ask to speak w the technical support team ?? Then, whatever their answer is, get the email address of the person you spoke w and ask for them to put it in writing. Or, send them an email w the accurate summary and ask them to respond that your summary is correct. Then, if you have any warranty issues, you are covered.
I guess because I am more interested in a general discussion of whether or not ALL compressor dehumidifiers really need the 24 hour wait, and opinions of those with experience in this topic, rather than the longevity of this one.

But if I was looking for a warranty remedy for just this one that is probably good advice and thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To all......

"I'll have you know" (quoting a friend with aspergers disease) ......

I subsequently received a Euhomy portable AC unit and it clearly states right on top of the box "Leave Upright for 24hours before use"

Perhaps if you do not, it will simply shorten the life ofthe unit in question

1 - 10 of 10 Posts