DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a commercial for ProCaulk today. it's a square(ish) rubber 'tool' for smoothing caulk as you do tubs, etc. i thought to myself, "self, you already DO that!" what i've always done is cut out that same shape more or less from an old plastic milk jug! they have various thicknesses on a jug so you can make it as 'stiff' as is comfortable for you.

i also use the jugs as guitar picks! free, various mm thick and always disposable. i use thick from the bottom for my bass picks, and thin from the side for my 12 string. they're better than a lot of purchased i've used only to have them crack in half during a heavy jam on stage. they NEVER break!

anyone else have any diy tools/tricks they'd like to share here?

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i've done that too rjordan, but i had to blend them to the right color on a piece of cardboard with a bic lighter. =o)
if it works, it works!

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
good post nestor, but 104 bucks??? wowzers! still, for a professional, it's a great investment. for me though, i have a cigarette lighter that has a blacklite led bulb that does the same thing. only cost me a buck and it's refillable too! lol

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i'm still lost on the whole test tube thing....
owell, when yer kid buys you a gross of pencils and you leave them all around your shop just to be sure one is in reach, why does the wife come in and pick them all up, bundle them, and then hide them in the nether reaches of space, never to be seen again? who knows? but that's why i hang a mini-sharpie on a string around my neck while i work.

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
on another note, i got sick of trying to repair cheap dustpans that split, cracked or simply broke in half while using, so i made my own.
also got tired of trying to carry in armloads of firewood, so with my (wife's) handy-dandy sewing machine, an old broom handle and some old jeans, *presto* a firewood carrier!

DM

Attachments

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
i can't let this thread go without a big cheer for ceramic magnets! open up old HDD cases and grab those magnets, they're handy as heck! i used one on a bandana to hold roofing screws, then nails by the handful. i have them mounted on the inside of the woodbox door too, they hold the hatchet, poker, handles for the manual wood splitter, etc. they also keep the door closed! and the lightbox above the dining room windows..... and the not so secret hiding place..... http://www.diychatroom.com/showthread.php?t=29495 bottom of page 1
and they play a part in my 'magic' boxes.....

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I really like the firewood carrier DM. Very creative, and probably as good or better than you could buy at the store! :thumbsup:
tnkx kc... i've never seen anything at stores for carrying logs. but never much looked either.
and yeah, i'm not dense... i kinda figured out the whole disappearing test tube thing right off, but just didn't understand what it had to do with anything, and why it got said. but hey, i've said some silly things here too, so no biggie.

how about some good drywalling tips? like the do one side of a corner, then the other side the next day tip? or how about some tape/mud tricks? lots of people here have problems with lifting/bubbling tape. (ok, so _I_ do)

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
a few more:
1: when wiring up in my attic, i'm running furring 12" above the height of the blown insulation.
2: the sharpie around my neck string lables EVERY wire into and out of every switch/junction/outlet box. line in/load out, switch1/switch2, etc. makes my job lots easier!
3: i got all 22" outlet boxes to make stuffing excess wires easier.
4: any other wiring tips from you electric pros?

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sure I may be screwing the next person who owns the house.
nah, they'll just go buy the bit and have fun.
good tips and funny too!, nice job Leah!

to pass position of outlets on drywall easily, i just smear any number of products on the cover and set the piece in place, remove it and there's where it goes! in a pinch, *blushing* i've used petroleum jelly, lipstick, elmers glue, and yes, i've even used spit......

to patch a big hole in drywall once at the bottom of the stairs in a home remodel/repair i took on. (sloppy furniture moving) i took 2x4s and made them longer than the hole by about 6 inches. then i screwed them place to give me a firm screwing for the cut patch. strong and unseen when i was done.

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
yup, just like an itty-bitty sponge...

hey willie, you hijacking this thread? lol j/k keep it up!

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
i've sat and flattened whole boxes of finishing nails on a stone before a job, but i never thought to turn it around and tap it first...
those little heads will still crack hardwood when they go in.
good one.

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
hmmm... i guess a tap with my nailset would accomplish the same thing, and be easier than holding onto a small nail.
the main thing is the hole, right?

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
ooh... good one. and much better elaboration on my way too short drywall fix. lol
keep it up!

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

i always whack them a few times too before using the tape to finish up. gets the deep stuff loosened.

DM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.