DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
6,520 Posts
Here's a DIY'er tip:

When replacing a light fixture, DON'T disconnect the old fixture at the wire nut connecting the old fixture to the house wiring. The house wiring may have baked insulation from being cooked inside the electrical box and handling that wiring may cause the insulation to break off. Instead, cut the wiring of the old fixture close to the fixture and connect to the old fixture's wires.
Sorry to be a funsucker on this thread but...
That may be a DIYer tip, but it sure itsn't a good idea. :huh:

This method adds an unnecessary connection and involves using pigtail wiring from the previous fixture to connect to the new fixture's pigtail wiring. It also puts faith in the connection made by the person that installed the last fixture, and the pigtail size of the old may be smaller than that of the new. I have never seen a professional electrician do that on any sort of retrofit electrical work, and I'd never consider doing that myself. Hardened insulation on household wiring will strip off enough to facilitate proper installation of the new fixture's pigtail in a wire nut.

·
6,520 Posts
Never set your cordless drill down on the battery. It's much safer to lay it on its side....on the floor. If you place it on a counter top sitting on its battery, you can VERY EASILY knock it over and where it stops, nobody knows!
Ask me how I know....:icon_redface:
I'm picturing broken floor tiles and scratched cabinets, or perhaps a throbbing foot.

Along the same lines, don't hold your face too close to the drill battery while drilling. When the bit grabs and the drill starts spinning at 600 rpm's, it is about like getting hit in the face by a gorilla. This one took a few stitches after I peeled myself off the floor and figured out who and where I was.

Attachments

·
6,520 Posts
Nestor, you posted an unsafe electrical tip and I pointed it out. You then took the thread way off track from productive (with some DIY humor and do's and don'ts mixed in) to unproductive with a pointless and unrelated post about making test tubes disappear in corn oil. If you're sensitive and can't take a little criticism for such an odd post...And subsequent odd posts...Then don't post them. Stick to the topic. Discuss things like patching drywall, tools, safety, or framing methods...You know...DIY-related topics, not science class topics.

·
6,520 Posts
also got tired of trying to carry in armloads of firewood, so with my (wife's) handy-dandy sewing machine, an old broom handle and some old jeans, *presto* a firewood carrier!
I really like the firewood carrier DM. Very creative, and probably as good or better than you could buy at the store! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.