DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hammered Thumb
3,707 Posts
If you are in a typically-regulated city, you probably won't find a contractor who will touch the sidewalks. They don't want to get in trouble with the city. Depending on what the repair entails, it may or may not be worth it for you to DIY.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
You advice may be correct in IL. But there are many places in this country where it’s dead wrong.

The home owner is often responsible for it. Needs to keep it free of debris or snow and ice. Can be sued if he does not and someone slips and falls.

If in disrepair, it the homeowners responsibility to get it done and pay for it.

·
Registered
11,516 Posts
You advice may be correct in IL. But there are many places in this country where it’s dead wrong.

The home owner is often responsible for it. Needs to keep it free of debris or snow and ice. Can be sued if he does not and someone slips and falls.

If in disrepair, it the homeowners responsibility to get it done and pay for it.
The answer is, "it depends." Almost all public sidewalks are in public right of way. They may be in front of your house, in which case you are required to keep them free of snow and debris. However, you are not responsible for repair. If the sidewalk is on private property, typically the municipality has no say so.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The answer is, "it depends." Almost all public sidewalks are in public right of way. They may be in front of your house, in which case you are required to keep them free of snow and debris. However, you are not responsible for repair. If the sidewalk is on private property, typically the municipality has no say so.
Not true near here.Son’s town marks sidewalk, curb, and drive apron. They mark issues and if you don’t fix it they get there own contractor to do it and bill you.
And, their tax rate is highest around.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
so, after all the responses, hues' post is correct - ' it depends ! '
before beginning any crack repairs, 1st determine IF the ' crack ' is a dynamic joint OR static crack,,, different repair methods & materials apply

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
at home in upstate ny, city solicited prices for sidewalk repairs,,, individual property owners were allowed to hire those bidders at bid price OR any other contractor of their choice,,, prior to placing new conc, inspections were rqd however rarely did inspectors look at experienced work if the company had existing relationship w/city
in my nj twnshp, owners were rqd to solicit their own bids & have s/w repaired to new standard w/permits & inspections IF their s/w got gigged

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,667 Posts
Start with your local code office and see who is responsible for repairs. Show us some pics of the cracked areas and you will get some advice on what the project entails.

In my town, the home owner is responsible, but must follow their guides just like any other building project.

·
Scumbag Lawyer
123 Posts
If I'm remembering my bar exam study correctly, that's not necessarily the case. Unless you're explicitly required by statute to shovel the snow, you're better off liability-wise if somebody slips and falls on an un-shoveled walk than if they do on a shoveled walk, the reasoning being that a slippery shoveled walk is a condition YOU created, instead of the "natural" state. Lawyers, go figure.

...I just shovel my walk anyway because it's the decent thing to do. Not sure if it's required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.