DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,
I'm about to tackle the project of replacing my wood shake roof with asphalt shingles.

My roof is about 3k sq ft, 5/12 pitch. It isn't very complex: L-shaped ranch with two valleys and 4-5 vent pipes + chimney. The house was built in the early 60s and has venting at the ends of the attic at the peak.

My questions:
1) When I remove the wood shingles (2 layers) and expose the spaced sheathing, should I remove the 1x4 sheathing, too? I've heard that the new decking should be placed directly on the rafters. While the old sheathing isn't much weight, lighter is better, right? (Should I mention that I'm an aircraft engineer?)

2) Ventilation. I'm planning to add soffit vents. Do I also need louvered vents near the peak?

It's a good-sized project, but I'm up for the task. I have a background in construction (pre-college), and I have plenty of help from my 15 yr old son and his friends.

Thanks!
Dave

·
Banned
30,022 Posts
If the decking is good, don't remove it. If it is good, it will take the shingle install and don't waste the money on plywood.

Soffits, if balanced properly with ridge vent, are sufficient. You need exhaust NFA for every intake NFA. Err on the side of more intake (60-40 split) if you do.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Hire it out.
Way to big a job to try and DIY without a real crew.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hello Friends,
I'm about to tackle the project of replacing my wood shake roof with asphalt shingles.

My roof is about 3k sq ft, 5/12 pitch. It isn't very complex: L-shaped ranch with two valleys and 4-5 vent pipes + chimney. The house was built in the early 60s and has venting at the ends of the attic at the peak.

My questions:
1) When I remove the wood shingles (2 layers) and expose the spaced sheathing, should I remove the 1x4 sheathing, too? I've heard that the new decking should be placed directly on the rafters. While the old sheathing isn't much weight, lighter is better, right? (Should I mention that I'm an aircraft engineer?)

2) Ventilation. I'm planning to add soffit vents. Do I also need louvered vents near the peak?

It's a good-sized project, but I'm up for the task. I have a background in construction (pre-college), and I have plenty of help from my 15 yr old son and his friends.

Thanks!
Dave
We leave the 1by sheathing in place and cover with OSB. Shingle vent on the ridge looks better than multiple box vents near the peak.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
this is a diy forum. Of course you can do it yourself.

Just take one section of the roof at a time.

I like to go with a fully vented metal soffit. A guy told me once that I could never exhaust that much square footage through the peak. I told him it didn't matter, that it would also exhaust on the opposite side of the house.

Anyway, no one ever complained that their roof was over ventilated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, cleveman. I've taken on some pretty big projects. My wife is skeptical, so part of my drive to completion is to deflect the "eyes bigger than my stomach" claims.

And I like the idea of a fully vented metal soffit. Even if it won't all exhaust out the peak, it'll create a slight positive pressure in the attic - a good thing.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
No way would I ever use a metal ridge vent, looks like poop.
Let us know how this works out for you. We've seen post after post on how people want to save money and do there own roofs.
Gets real old real quick trying to get all those sheets of OSB up there, while working on an open roof, trying to line up the H clips, then make 90 plus trips up the ladder carrying 75 LB. bundles of shingles.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I've never seen a metal ridge vent, but I bet it would indeed be ugly.

As far as getting osb up on a roof, I came up with a good way to do it.

First, you have the stack of osb delivered close to the structure. Then you put two sawhorses up perpendicular to the structure and set the osb sheets on them vertically so that on a ranch home they are sticking up past the roof line about 3'. This will involve manually placing them on the saw horses.

Standing on the roof, you simply swing these up on the roof and walk with them. First thing you do is put a course on the bottom where you are working.

This has worked great for me.

As for the shingles, I have had them conveyed on the roof and simply set up there by the pallet and unloaded and spread out on the roof. Again, a bit of work, but no big deal.

I would never slog shingles up a ladder. If such a task were necessary, I would shift them up maybe 4' a lift on a set of scaffolding or even off a livestock rack on a pickup truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again, Cleveman. It might have been 20 years ago, but when I was in college, I worked 4 summers for a metal building company and put on many roofs up 30 feet in the air. Never even had a close call. It's about paying attention and being smart.

LOVE the idea of the sawhorses and vertical OSB. I plan on having the shingles conveyed. If that isn't available, I have a few other options to lift 'em up there.

Very much appreciate the ideas and considerations. Keep 'em coming.

Dave

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Home Depot rents a laddarvator.
It will lift up the shingles and the OSB if roof tops not available.
Never ever lay the shingles over the peak of the roof. If there still in the bundle ever one of them will crack.
Lay them flat.
I'd never leave the skip sheathing on the roof.
Going to complicate adding the drip cap and leave an open gap when adding the hopefully wrapped fascia.
Wait until you try to add that last nail at the end of the shingles. It's going to try and bounce every time you hit the nail.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Just remember one thing about DIYing your own roof: You won't save as much money as you think you will. By the time you add up the tools, materials, your valuable free time, etc. you will have almost as much in it as a roofing company. Many roofing companies do the job in one day, clean up, take your old roofing to the landfill, take the risks of being on the roof, and wrap things up in a hurry. Doing it yourself takes one guy many weekends and evenings to geterdone. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Plus the tarps to cover the roof, bushes, magnets to pick up the nails, hook blades.
Just knowing how to flash around vents, chimneys, what to do when your ending up with short pieces on the ends, how much over hang to have, what lengths to cut the first shingles in a row, how to install a roof jack, ECT.
Someone on the ground precutting sheathing, starters, caps, cleaning up.

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
I deal with reality, not going to be a hide my head in the sand and just rubber stamp anything a DIY says and say go for it like most people would.
Think about it, 30 squares, 15 per side, using under aged workers that have never done a roof before that may or not even show up past the first day.
Potential for interior damage if not done in a timely manner and done right.
My main concern is for the home owner.

Reactions: Gymschu

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
With 1x4 roof deck, and going to asphalt shingles, you may end up with many nails that miss the deck and go into the joints. So I'd definitely put a new deck.
As joecaption says, this is really a job for a professional. Decking/roofing a roof comes with risks that can't be predicted. Rain aside, you can have slipping and chance gust that blows off decking and you with it.
Giving some of this job to the kids is esp a bad idea, such as even climbing a ladder and stepping on/down a roof.
Work like this can begin/take off 10 years - back problems, feet arch.
Doing the work yourself will take several times more time - you must be prepared to rain/wind proof the section at any moment.
These are just basics. If you still want to do the work, more power to you. However, remember that you can get hurt even during removing old roof, so I'd start with getting a few professional estimates and have someone on stand-by.

BTW, if you hand nail the shingles, you may not need to redeck, as you will know if a nail misses.
This also may be chance to consider putting the vented deck. I mean extend the rafters with 2x2 and put a new deck on it. Make sure your rafters can support the additional weight (this goes for any changes).
OSB can become very slippery.

·
Super Moderator
13,454 Posts
Sounds like an easy roof and with your prior experience you should be fine.

Just don't tear off more than you can get done in a day.
Build a simple plywood stand to tip the sheets up on so you can easily grab them from the roof.
There's no rule saying that shingles have to go up the ladder a full bundle at a time.
Have enough tarps on hand to cover things up if unexpected weather should arrive. You can always return unused tarps.
Just having the kids staying on top of the mess will be a huge help.

Post pictures here if you have specific detail questions. Most here will be glad to help.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.