DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to make some DIY pendant lights to hang over a kitchen island. I think I've got it all figured out except for one thing---I'm lacking anything reasonable to use at the attachment point on the ceiling. That is, I need some sort of low profile (it can't be recessed in this particular location) and not-too-ugly "box" where I'll connect the lamp wire to the romex.

I've done a fair bit of home wiring projects, but never had a need for anything like this before, so I don't know what (if anything) is available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
A bunch of these:

Vary the colors/styles, and also use some of the Y ones.

Ok, just kidding, but I secretly would love to see that lol Same idea as this:

I totally have to try that one day. Maybe in my garage for the lighting lol.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Your going to have to buy this as parts.
Lowes, Home Depot will have the T bar to mount to the box but I doubt there going to have the box cover you will need. Try going on line or to a real lighting store. Your going to need the rounded cover, threaded hollow threaded rod, and the eye hook.
You do have the lamps, and chain right. If not then just go buy some new lights a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your going to have to buy this as parts.
Lowes, Home Depot will have the T bar to mount to the box but I doubt there going to have the box cover you will need. Try going on line or to a real lighting store. Your going to need the rounded cover, threaded hollow threaded rod, and the eye hook.
You do have the lamps, and chain right. If not then just go buy some new lights a lot cheaper.
No rods, no T-bar, no threading, none of that will be necessary. I just need some type of cover.

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far, but if anybody has an idea of something specific that might work, that would be great. Thanks.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
No rods, no T-bar, no threading, none of that will be necessary. I just need some type of cover.

I appreciate all of the suggestions so far, but if anybody has an idea of something specific that might work, that would be great. Thanks.
YES, you DO.

You MUST install a box into the ceiling and the fixtures mount to the boxes.
You absolutely CANNOT simply mount the fixtures right to the ceiling.

·
DIY Enthusiast
127 Posts
Any pictures of your lights? I'd like to see them. I DIY'd some for myself, too.

Made them here

I'm still not totally happy with them, but as I'm sure you are aware, buying nice ones is so costly!

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I'm still not totally happy with them, but as I'm sure you are aware, buying nice ones is so costly!
And that kitchen wasn't?? :whistling2:

Reactions: jbfan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts