DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I'm in an 1840 structure, small, with two chimneys - one is functional, and needs a little work, the other is completely non-functional (it's sealed with cement, pics below) and dead-ends above a dirt crawl space.

I know nothing about this stuff - but to me it looks like it's beyond repointing, it's beyond my ability to repoint anyway. Should I have it repaired or just removed? Or maybe just taken down to where it's only a foot or two high and then resealed? Do I need a mason or just a handyman type person?

Any ideas on what something like this should cost?

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I was wondering that as I posting the pics - it's pretty shoddy. At first I thought it was just old but some of the cement looks kinda new.

Any reason why I should leave it and not just take it down?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again!

I love a firelplace but there's no place to put one. This was a chimney from 1888 for a woodturning stove and/or fireplace. After several remodels there's just no place to put it anymore :(

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have a question if the chimney terminates 1 foot above the crawl space ground What is supporting the weight of the chimney?
I also see pieces of mortar joint sticking out from the face of the brick I think this would indicate movement in that area. I would have a Structural Engineer look @ it.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
I have a feeling the mason will tell you that your lowest cost option is to rip that thing down. I had that done on the unused chimney once. I was a little nervous about having a mason do roofing (patching the hole), but he seemed to have done a pretty good job of hole patch. I guess he gets a lot of practice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a 12x12 petrified piece of oak holding up the structure and it runs right under the chimney. If I was going to use it I might have an engineer look at it but it's been sitting there for a LONG time and that 12x12 hasn't budged :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just as well it's supported. Here's one that some builders removed the chimney breast below from.
Building control was around at the time to video it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts