DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New House Newbie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look of stripes in a lawn, just looks complete and well taken care of (other disagree I know). So I set out to buy a striper. Toro has a decent looking unit for around $80, but I figured I could do just as good. Here is what I cam up with.
-2' sch40 PVC
-aluminum flat stock
-1/2" all thread and nuts/washers to fit
-internal PVC caps
-$15-$20

`I measured outside to outside on my rear wheels to get a width for the PVC (22" in my case).
`All thread through the middle of the PVC caps and pipe. Fill pipe with concrete
`I should have just cut the 3' aluminum flat stock in half, but I bent and drilled holes for the first side then cut off excess which left me a few inches short of half left. Cut the flat stock in half first so that you have equal material to use for each side (or buy 2 pieces of flat stock; was $8 a piece here on sale). I chose aluminum because all I have to bend metal is a vise so it bent quite easy with my hands and a vise.
`Once the first piece of aluminum was bent correctly, I put that in the vise next to my next piece and bent the second piece to match the first. One note that I learned from looking at the Toro unit, angle the striper so that it pushes forward towards the back of mower deck). A Toro video said you will get better results
`I had to drill holes in my lawnmower tubing to bolt this up. You may already have a bolt going through a location close (lucky you!)

The only thing I am going to change is I am going to get a couple bushings to put on the all-thread so it rolls better and can still tighten the nuts on it. I have not been able to try this as yesterday it snowed a little here, so it may be a couple weeks until I get this going. Anyways, hope this sparks ideas for others and would welcome feedback on how to make this better.

J

Attachments

·
New House Newbie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd fill that PVC with sand or concrete. It's the weight that presses the grass down.
Yep, its filled with concrete. I thought about sand, but my guess was that concrete is heavier.

"`All thread through the middle of the PVC caps and pipe. Fill pipe with concrete"

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,980 Posts
Ayuh,.... Is it gonna be mounted Rigid to the push handle, or Swingin' off the handle,..??

I see it complicatin' doin' 90°, 'n 180° turns,...

·
New House Newbie
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My original thoughts was that it would just ride on top of the ground and move up and down with the terrain (you can see a small slot at the top of the aluminum on the last pic; i had just pins to put in those slots but switched it out to a bolt/nut), but when I was wheeling it around the garage, I ran over my floor drain and the roller actually lifted the back end of the mower up and then became a trailing striper instead of one that is pushed.

I guess I will not know how it maneuvers in turns until I try it out. Right now it just slides around on my garage floor.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,980 Posts
Ayuh,.... On a corner, when ya push down on the handle to swing the front of the mower around, the mower is gonna pivot on yer roller, if rigid, ain't it,..??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts