DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:furious:I live in an area that is experiencing very high humidity (97%) I have the next few days off work and would like to start and complete my project. Is that possible in such muggy weather?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Wow. What a bummer. With ample planning you are about to lose your virginity and no doubt you bought special things to wear. Roses are laid out next to the paint brushes and roller covers in the back seat of the Chevvy. You are off work and free of distractions. Pets are out of the way...

High humidity is going to slow or keep paint from drying and curing but it will happen. 97 percent is a lot though. You might want to wait for a bit of a drop.

If you are working indoors, ventilation will drop the relative humidity and a dehumidifier will work even better

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where are you that has such high humidity? I would speak to a local (not big-box) paint guy and see what he suggests in terms of primers and painting. There may be additives to help with the drying time. There may be special paints or paint alternatives that (ie clay wall covering) that work well in your environment.

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
97% is way to high for most coatings to be applied. How do you know that you have humidity that high. Are you going by what the weather man says or do you have an accurate way of checking humidity. I do environmental conditions test all day, everyday and my #'s can easily 10 degrees different than the nearest weather station. Most latex/acrylic paints only allow up to 85% humidity and 5 above the dew point. Painting in high humidity will slow don dry/cure times and leave your coating open to contamination.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
Where are you that has such high humidity? I would speak to a local (not big-box) paint guy and see what he suggests in terms of primers and painting. There may be additives to help with the drying time. There may be special paints or paint alternatives that (ie clay wall covering) that work well in your environment.

The jungles of Brazil?:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts