DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at Home Depot online, prices are relatively cheap for hardwood flooring. I'd say the range is $3-12 sq. ft. And reading the reviews it's pretty simple to put together (granted your layout doesn't have unique floor angles).

Since pricing is relatively cheap and installation being a lot easier than before, do you think there's significantly less demand for flooring contractors? If so, what becomes their new specialty?

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,305 Posts
Interesting question.....

I don't think so with hardwood flooring. With real hardwood if that is your reference, it still is not that simple for Joe Blow. He needs good saws, a flooring nailer, and it is still a big effort with rip-out, underlayment, and finish work.

If you are referencing click lock eng wood, yes it is a lot simpler and less back-breaking, but there are still issues with transitions and floating/gluedown.

In fact, because flooring in a sense has become less expensive with new prefinished products and LVT....I think demand has increased way beyond what might be done by DIY'ers.

Thinking way back...maybe before your time.... when latex paint was invented. Yes, a lot of DIY'ers can and do paint.....but painters have not disappeared.

There will always be room for qualified and competent tradesmen.

If you look at it macro-wise, millennials are not very proficient in the trades. Yes they can make there rooms an entirly different color on there phone....but their phone can't open a can of paint....yet.:wink2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's super informative.

I guess my follow up question would be what is the cost ratio for materials vs. labor?

Let's say that hardwood flooring materials cost $5 per sq. ft. with total cost of $1500 (300 sq. ft. of flooring). Would it be crazy for labor costs to be $3000 or more?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,155 Posts
Pricing in Gnu Yawk, is different than anywhere else in the world.

You need to survey actual residents of Gnu Yawk.

Here that $3,000.00 gets close to a thousand sq ft installed, but that is here.

ED

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point, but the material cost online should be the same.

For example one of the most popular on Home Depot is the engineered hardwood flooring (Malibu Wide Plank) which is in the $4-5 sq. ft. range.

But you're right the labor costs could be wildly different. I'm just curious to know if it's crazy if labor costs turn out to be 50-75% of the total costs. So if it's $1500 in materials, could labor be $3000 or $4500?

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,155 Posts
Labor here used to be 45 -50 % of the total cost .

Decades ago, It has been a long time since I had to hire labor for my projects.

Now that I have gotten less agility, I will probably be hiring help again.:vs_mad:

Old age ain't for wimps.

ED

·
Remodel and New Build GC
11,305 Posts
Very difficult to relate labor to material costs as a percentage.....vaience in product and its price price is so varient and pretty unrelated to the labor to install.

For a simple click lock floater in a normal install...I would expect 2-4/ft....although my son in Cali just shopped it and got 1.50/ft....but that was pretty unusual and lucky.

But entirely different for a nail down hardwood unfinished product... easily top 5-8 and very dependent on the labor market you are in.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Most people aren't gonna install their own (real) hardwood floor. The DIYer who would, who has all the tools, was gonna do it himself before. What it might change is the number of people doing laminate, as that is relatively fool-proof and less tool-intensive—although you still need some decent saws.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Many years back when I was doing roofing on the side, we would get a materials cost and double it as a job estimate for a simple new construction roof or a straight “add a second or third layer” of shingles. For a tear-off down to Plywood, we added another 15% plus dumpster and disposal.....but times have changed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.