DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the need to remodel my house so I can try and either rent it or sell it and I have a number of projects which I need to have done. I do have some experience in construction but not enough to do what needs to be done. I was wondering if there are any contractors out there that would let an individual work with them to help with the labor cost like they do on HGTV and DIY channels? I am located in the Columbia, SC area.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
As a contractor I would never think of it and have been asked several times.The first issue is my insurance won't allow it.The second is ,in the time it takes to keep an eye on you and explain what needs done and how to do it correctly I could have done it correctly myself.If there is demo work or cleanup needing done you may be able to find someone who will allow you to do that .It all depends on the type of projects involved other than the insurance issues.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Check reliable video sources like ThisOldHouse, or, if you can find a TRUSTED DIY Youtube channel, you can pick up lots of pointers watching videos. You can pick up a lot of bad info as well, but, it is a source of info to look into. I know I use YouTube a lot when I'm doing something new to me like installing crown moulding, etc. Once you weed through the bad videos and find a good one, well it really can be a good resource.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
It all depends on the type of work being done. There are certain things an unexperienced person can do. The problem is how to determine how much to deduct or how much to add to complete what the homeowner did not complete correctly. It can work if there's trust on both sides.

However...... as a joke I sometimes used to tape a sign like this;

LABOR RATES;

normal rates - $45 hr.
if you watch - $55 hr.
If you help - $ 65 hr.

Jaz :wink2:

Reactions: Gymschu

·
World's Tallest Midget
1,467 Posts
Absolutely not. Look on Contractor Talk and see how much they like HGTV and DIY Network.

Please, I do NOT mean this to demean, but whenever I clean my house and try to have my 7-year-old daughter help, all the hand holding and teaching and directions make the job take 3 times as long as it would otherwise. Not saying you would, but working with homeowners closely often turns into micromanagement and HGTV leads to unreasonable expectations on timeline, cost, and everything else.

I'm not trying to be rude but you should either DIY or hire, not both.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just tackled a home addition project in which I did a lot of the work myself. I worked with a contractor as well. But instead of filling the formal roll as the contractor he served as a project manager. So he basically did all the same functions but I paid any subs directly. I paid for materials directly. I did the work I wanted and other subs that either I or he brought in did the rest. It worked well from my stand point.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
Few contractors are set up to allow a homeowner to assist them, or a subcontractor, directly. However, if you have the skill to handle an entire assignment, for example building cabinets, finishing a floor, painting etc., the general contractor may be perfectly happy to allow you to act as your own subcontractor for the work. You should expect the GC to ride you just as hard as any sub, maybe not on quality of work, since presumably you will not complain about that, but certainly in terms of getting the work done on time so you do not interfere with other contractors performance of their work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just tackled a home addition project in which I did a lot of the work myself. I worked with a contractor as well. But instead of filling the formal roll as the contractor he served as a project manager. So he basically did all the same functions but I paid any subs directly. I paid for materials directly. I did the work I wanted and other subs that either I or he brought in did the rest. It worked well from my stand point.
I'm doing exact same thing now. The GC is acting more like PM managing, I'm paying everything direct. And he doesn't have his own crew (mainly 1-2 go-to guys plus hires for the big jobs).

Foundation started in Oct... they did all framing and roofing. Now we are in final stretch.

I've been taking on some of the work to help budget (rough electrical, hanging drywall, tiling). His main guy filling in where needed. And I'm also not thrilled with "his guys" quality of work in some areas (drywall patching, mouldings). So I'm doing better job in **some** cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.