DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not know any better. I used non-paintable silicon sealant around an exterior door, between brick molding and stucco wall. And then I smoothed out some of it onto the face of the it.

Is there any way to make paint adhere to it? Primer does not stick to it.

·
Registered
11,303 Posts
No way that I know of.

You would have to remove all of it and re-caulk with a widow-and-door sealant. And you would really have to remove ALL of the silicone. The new caulk won't stick to the silicone either.

Maybe somebody else here knows something I don't.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hopefully you really only put a small bead as needed for the most part.

If advanced primers don't work. Before trying to remove your fresh silicone, I'd try to silicone over it with a paintable silicone, then paint. I have redone most of our house's wood trim over stucco that way. In many places I went over some existing caulk/silicone/paint ... Of course cleaning up loose paint, caulk, moss, etc but not digging it out every linear foot unless necessary. Try GeoCel. It certainly has a chemical odor and you want to use it outdoors, really; but is very paintable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can't argue with the 'pigmented shellac', nor can I confirm it. ....... I also learned the hard way many years ago. ....... Even 'silicone' won't stick to 'silicone'. ....... I buy nothing but 'paintable' silicone ever since.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There were some imperfections in the stucco, so the original bead spreads out slightly in a several spots. The paint here is light colored, so the while silicon does not bother me much. I am not taking out the entirety of the silicone.
How's about a little strip of trim mold around it? On top of the silicone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had nailed the brick molding to the door frame. The hammer* dimpled the wood too much for my liking. I put a little bit of the silicone in the dimple, thinking it would look better. That is when I found out that it was unpaintable. I took a wire brush to it and removed it from several nail spots (and also near the top corner joints). I will just prime and paint over those now, dimple and all.

* it was the hammer's fault.

·
Registered
Electrical, remodeling
731 Posts
Made that mistake just a few months ago when caulking the seams on my new shed.

I was putting non-paintable silicone on the back of some trim boards to make sure everything was water tight.

Then I was going to caulk the trim on the outside, forgot to switch back to the paintable stuff.

Finished for the day.

Next day I go to paint the caulk and the paint is not sticking.

Oh, no, surely I didn't, check the tube, yep I surely did.

I'll just put some paintable over the non-paintable, nope won't stick.

Tried to paint over the two, some paint stuck, but not much.

Goof off, nope.

Had to pick, scrape and peel as much as I could off.

Re-caulked with the current stuff, still had a few spots that wouldn't take paint.

Keep going over those spots until the latex created a film over the non-paintable stuff.

Fortunately it's under the eves of the shed in backyard, out of sight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts