DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has installed floor tile using Suntouch floor warming system with Ditra? I'd like to have heated tiles in my bathroom and plan on using Ditra, but wasn't sure if the heating system can be used in conjunction with it? The heating system is in the form of heating wires wound through a mesh mat that is set in mortar under the tile.
Thanks.

·
Doer of Many Things
1,208 Posts
Yes it can be used. We installed the heat as recommended by the heat manufacturer, using a self leveling compound to embed the coil. Then you thinset your Ditra on top of the poured compound per Schluter's instructions. The exact order of installation is detailed in the Ditra installation handbook, downloadable from Schluter's website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks. The directions for installing the heating mat say to adhere mat to backerboard using adhesive provided and use thinset over to adhere tile. Is it best to do this under Ditra or can it be done over so the heat is closer to tile? Did you use the same system? This is Watts SunTouch Floor Warming System.

·
Doer of Many Things
1,208 Posts
We haven't used that exact system. We've used Warm Tiles and Nuheat for the most part. They should all be similar though. If it says to adhere it, then use the adhesive. As far as thinsetting, I would check with them to see if you can use a self leveler with their system. SLC is a lot easier than troweling thinset onto the mat and less chance of damaging the mat. It'll also fill it in better and give you a better surface for Ditra. With thinset I'd say fill it in, let it cure, and then use more thinset to attache the Ditra. It's more work that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.