DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always love distressed furniture but I have been unable to find much of it. Can anyone help?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
It's hard to find because anyone can 'distress' furniture with a can of shoe polish, a toothbrush and a length of chain.
Beat the crap out of your furniture with the chain, then fleck it with the toothbrush dipped in shoe polish to simulate years of fly poop and you're good to go.

DM

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Jenna said:
I have always love distressed furniture but I have been unable to find much of it. Can anyone help?
I've got a bunch of crappy old furniture I can sell you ;)

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Flea markets, moving sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, used furniture stores, dumpsters near student housing at move out time....

Distressed furniture can mean a lot of different things. I assume you wanted distressed from an appearance standpoint only? You are not looking for three legged dining room chairs?

·
Stuck in the 70's
2,208 Posts
Like DangerMouse said, you can distress furniture yourself. The first step is to learn how to tell the difference between real wood, wood veneer, and the new particle board and contact paper crap being sold as furniture. Real wood is your best choice. Veneer is doable. But don't waste your time on the particle board/MDF stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree, re. real wood. If there's an IKEA near your house they often sell real wood furniture, unfinished, that you can easily distress yourself. Pretty affordable, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts