DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I just got brand new frigidaire dishwasher and i am trying to figure out how to hook it up. The plumbing part would be easy but the electric connection part is killing me... The dishwasher came only with drain hose, there is no power cord or anything. Also I have no clue that previous home owner had any dishwasher or not.
When I check the installation instruction as I understood i have to make connection from the junction box. But, does this connection have to be with wiring from circuit box or can I purchase any diswasher power cord to connect it. ???????

:wink:

I really need your advice
I appreciate your help, have a good day

·
Registered
283 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Here in Canada dish washers always come equipped with a power cord and 15 amp plug!

It must be required by law, as all our appliances are US made.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most are hard wired,they can be corded but the cord must be rated for a dishwasher,a 3 prong grounded outlet on a 15-20amp separate circuit,read the electrical requirements in the installation instructions and follow them to the tee..

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The biggest code violation I see is dishwashers hardwired with no disconnect. I prefer the plug and cord method with a receptacle under the sink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard wire

I installed one a few years back. I forget whether it whether it was standard 120 or 240 volt. If it is a standard 120 you can run a line form another outlet and terminate it in a junction box behind the dishwasher and hardwire it. In US I don't think many come with a cord so they can get you for the installation charge since most people don't want to venture into the hardwiring.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Safest is with either cord or hard wired to a GFI protected circuit. If its from a circuit in the kitchen it may already be GFI protected. Check your code office to be sure you're doing it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts