DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I’m remodeling my daughter’s kitchen and we are removing walls for the “open” look. The house was built in 63 and there used to be a washer dryer right across from the sink, with the washer drain and vent inside the wall. At some point, someone relocated the washer/dryer into the outside storage room and put a dishwasher in its place. The dishwasher drain was going into the old washing machine drain (with a sealed cap). So now that we are removing that wall and installing an island, we obviously can’t have the vent pipe going through the roof anymore. My plan was to cut the drain/P-trap/vent pipes out, cap the drain in the crawl space, and run the dishwasher drain hose through the floor, across and up into the sink cabinet, with a high loop and connect above the sink P-trap. Will this work? Google is giving me mixed opinions. The sink and dishwasher will be directly across from each other….. maybe a 4’ gap?
Table Wood Wood stain Hardwood Gas

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe my thread title is confusing…… how’s “drain options for a dishwasher in an island?” Does anyone have any experience with running a drain hose through the floor and back up to the sink? Any issues? Being that they make longer drain hoses, I would assume this is commonly done, I just wanted some reassurance from any of you guys.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,936 Posts
It might work, but drains especially ones that get slugged with water, toilets, dish washers, clothes washers need a lot of air for proper operation

Check with your local building department. Some allow up to 6-10 feet for the vent.

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
If I understand you, the sink is existing and you will demo the plumbing pictured so you need to route the DW drain to the sink location via underfloor?

I suggest you research the DW specs. I don't believe a plumbing code will fail you because code cares about cross contamination (High loop or air gap) not the DW capabilities

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Correct, the dishwasher is going to be straight across from an existing sink and my plan is to run the drain hose underneath in the crawl space and back up into the sink drain above the P-trap. The website says it comes with a 6 foot hose so I’ll have to get a longer one. Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with running a longer drain hose.

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
I have run longer hose but not the routing you propose. Mine went around a corner but was routed at the top of the cabinets not at the floor. I used 7/8 radiator hose coupled to the DW hose with a short piece of 3/4" copper pipe and hose clamps This also connected to the disposal inlet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts