DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hi Beans,

Congrats on the new apartment.

I'm big on DIY but you likely can't legally do the wiring in your apartment. Check with the AHJ but in most cases since it isn't a single family home, you'll need an electrician.

Dishwashers don't need to be on a GFCI.

The dishwasher should not be on the small appliance circuit. NEC 210.52 (b) (1) exceptions. The two or more small appliance circuits specified in 210.52 (b) (1) shall have no other outlets: Exception No. 2: Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units.

Check with the inspector first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You seem to be covered on the small appliance circuits. I'd defer to the AHJ on using that circuit however.

I'd probably put in a new outlet for the range on one of the small appliance circuits and use the existing range circuit as a dedicated feed to the DW.

Is running a new circuit out of the question?

In my locale it seems that most dishwashers are on a dedicated circuit. Most are hardwired as well.

I'd check with the AHJ again on the wire. Romex may not be allowed. Even if it is, I'd rather use BX or flexible conduit.

The best source Beans is really the local inspector. Most are more than willing to answer these questions. Ultimately, it is up to them.

Good luck with your project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.