DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a DPST disconnect switch is rated for 200 amps, does that mean per pole or both poles combined?

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
When a DPST disconnect switch is rated for 200 amps, does that mean per pole or both poles combined?
As brric says. It is per pole.

A 30A SP toggle switch, a 30A two-pole single phase disconnect, a 30A 3-phase disconnect or a 30A four pole lighting contactor are all 30A rated devices.

This applies to switches, circuit breakers, panels, etc. Anything that has one or more "poles" or "phases".

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
A Breaker rated for 200 amps means 100 amps per side, correct?
No. Poles are NOT combined.
See my last reply. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I meant to say is "A breaker PANEL rated for 200 amps wold take (2) 100 amp mains max?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
How old is that panel? It sounds like you have one of those old-style split-bus panels, with (2) 60 Amp mains there ....

Care to post a picture of the guts of that panel, with the cover removed?

·
Electrician
818 Posts
My sticker on my square d panel says 150 amps and I have 2-60 amp mains.
Just to clarify, you have a single 2-pole 60A breaker acting as the main for the panel, correct?

That is normal, you simply have a smaller breaker than the panel can handle. The panel could handle up to 150A, if desired.

A 200A breaker will give 200A on each of (2) 120V circuits. Or it will give 200A on one 240V circuit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to clarify, you have a single 2-pole 60A breaker acting as the main for the panel, correct?

That is normal, you simply have a smaller breaker than the panel can handle. The panel could handle up to 150A, if desired.

A 200A breaker will give 200A on each of (2) 120V circuits. Or it will give 200A on one 240V circuit.
No, I have (2) 2pole 60 amp main breakers.

·
Electrician
818 Posts
From 1977. Should I upgrade?
I don't know.

I don't know much about split bus panels, when I first saw your picture I thought it was a main lug only panel until I traced some of the wires :laughing:

Square D QO is a good panel and you can buy new breakers if you are having an issue.

I personally don't see any reason to upgrade unless you are looking for a project.

Hopefully someone else with more splitbus experience will chime in.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
YOU have more than 2 main breakers there. The entire top section consists of 4 to 6 double-pole breakers, which combined together constitute your "service disconnects". You have to turn them all off to shut down all the power in the premises. The ones labeled "Main" only feed into the bottom sections of the panel -- controlling the single pole loads.

I am more concerned with that breaker labeled "Generator" which is in the off position.

Is that connected to a generator for back feeding the panel? Without a proper isolation interlockit or transfer switch, you have a potentially dangerous situation and a major code violation.

I would upgrade, and install either a generator sub-panel, or a proper interlock kit in the new box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My plan is to install this transfer switch. So since I have (2) 60 amp mains I can get the 60 amp model transfer switch?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts