DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I'm tired of our dog flipping out every time the doorbell rings. Is it ok to disconnect the wires from the push button outside without issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
So then they won't be able to ring the door so they will knock and the dog will then flip out about the knocking??? Not sure what the goal here is.

Dogs instinctively are alarms. In the wild when one of them sees something or hear something they start yapping and the rest of the pack starts yapping.

I generally love it when our dog starts barking when someone is at the door because I know that in the hours we are gone and the dog is the only one in the house, that when the bad guys come and start shaking the door handle or ringing the doorbell to see if it's an easy target to hit, the dog explodes, the bad guys hear it and run off.

You might want to re-evaluate this. Your getting a huge benefit from the doorbell and dog combo that you apparently don't realize you have. Your house might have been hit already without the dog doing his job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unfortunately, our two small dogs are not like that...they'll bark at things when we're home. When I make noise after coming home from work, they don't make a peep...never have...
Thinking about upgrading...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a box in the closet for the doorbell. I can post pictures later, just dont know what wires to disconnect there without messing stuff up. thx

·
Usually Confused
9,606 Posts
I feel your pain; our two dogs are the same, which isn't so bad but one keeps barking after we answer the door. I think the easiest thing to do is disconnect the wires where they are easiest to access; likely either the at the transformer or the bell housing (the cover is probably plastic and pops off). Remove any two pair of low voltage wires and either put small wire nuts on the ends or cut of the bare conductor and tape them back.
The problem you will be left with is people assuming the button actually works.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our dog ruptured his achilles, can't have him running anywhere for 9 months. Not worried about the bad guys.

So then they won't be able to ring the door so they will knock and the dog will then flip out about the knocking??? Not sure what the goal here is.

Dogs instinctively are alarms. In the wild when one of them sees something or hear something they start yapping and the rest of the pack starts yapping.

I generally love it when our dog starts barking when someone is at the door because I know that in the hours we are gone and the dog is the only one in the house, that when the bad guys come and start shaking the door handle or ringing the doorbell to see if it's an easy target to hit, the dog explodes, the bad guys hear it and run off.

You might want to re-evaluate this. Your getting a huge benefit from the doorbell and dog combo that you apparently don't realize you have. Your house might have been hit already without the dog doing his job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.