DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice on how to do this safely. We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel and the old drop-in range was removed several weeks ago. It was direct wired (into a floating junction box about a foot from the wall). The cable that went from the old range to the junction box is gone. The new range does allow direct wiring with 3 wire cable (2 + ground). The wires from the wall are two solid Al and one braided Al. I measured with some old calipers and got about 0.125" for the solid Al wires - I think that's 8 gauge, but hopefully, someone can confirm. What kind of cable should I buy to connect the new range to the wires from the wall? Does that cable need to be armored? Is the braided wire the ground, and how do I safely connect it to the new cable? What is the black grease on the wires - do I need to add more when I join the new cable? And lastly, assuming that the new wire is copper, is there anything special I need to do to join it to the aluminum ones? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Very Stable Genius
4,533 Posts
First choice would be to replace the Al cable from the panel to the outlet
with 8/3(+gnd) Cu. Any chance of doing that in your situation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not impossible, but I'm hoping not to hire an electrician and changing breakers in the panel is outside my comfort zone.

·
Very Stable Genius
4,533 Posts
How can you tell the difference between tinned copper and Al?
Look at the cross section at the end of the wire. If it's too tarnished to
tell just sand it a little.
Scraping the surface with a sharp knife will also show if there's Cu
under nickle plating.
Ideally though, new cable with separate neutral and gnd is the way to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it, thanks! I'll check tonight to see. Assuming it's tinned copper for the solid wires, is it likely that the braided aluminum wire is really braided tinned copper as well? Is the braided one the ground wire? Does anyone know if I need to get armored cable for the connection to the stove?

·
Super Moderator
14,640 Posts
I think you have SE cable. The bare is neutral.

i would add a receptacle and wire the range with a flexible cord.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts