DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a Monessen direct-vent gas fireplace available at my local re-store that I would like to purchase for my home (the unit is in working condition but has been used before). I have an installation question before I can decide whether to buy it....

We want to replace an old wood-burning stove that is no longer working with this direct vent gas unit. The old wood stove is vented to the outside, and I was hoping to use this same opening to vent the gas unit. The problem is, the current opening is below the height of where the pipe comes out from the top of the fireplace. Basically, the gas fireplace is 37" tall, and it is vented out of the top of the unit (the vent pipe opening is ultimately 40" high). The opening in the wall is only 32" off the ground. Can we route the vent pipe down? I've only ever seen diagrams of pipe going higher above the unit.

Thanks for the help!

·
Usually Confused
7,947 Posts
My initial reaction is no because it won't vent properly. You local gas code and the manufacturer's install specs (possibly available online) will confirm this. You will also likely have to install a stainless steel vent liner with weather cap.

·
Registered
773 Posts
many direct vent units can be vented out of the top or directly out of the back... It's been years since i installed mine so I couldnt tell ya if you can just take the rear off and close up the top or vice versa.. but might be worth checking that out and seeing if you can make the rear vent work with your dimensions..

·
Usually Confused
7,947 Posts
I'm pretty sure the key issue is the vent pipe dropping 8" before entering the wall.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If the unit can be vented out the back then there is no 8" drop...

What I am saying is these units can often have the vent attached to the top of the unit or the back of the unit...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've since learned that I can NOT run venting downward. I'll have to look for a unit that can be vented out the back, instead of the top. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts