DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
From Philadelphia
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing 1/4" Hardibacker on the floor to prepare for tile. Does anyone know if a dimpler bit exists with a square tip that would fit Hardibacker screws? Basically just like a drywall dimpler bit, but with a square tip instead of a Philips tip. Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've yet to see a dimpler bit with a square drive. Dimpler bits work, because they allow the phillips bit to "cam-out" of the screw head. Square bits and square-head screws are specifically designed to prevent cam-out.

You don't need a dimpler, even for drywall (unless you're doing a lot of it, and need to do it very quickly). Sometimes, I'll just run my drill/driver on the drill setting, and set the clutch, so that it starts slipping when the screw is close to full depth.

·
Registered
422 Posts
They do make spring loaded dimplers that have a collar set to a depth stop. The bits interchange and you would just put in a robertson tip. That said, I don't think you'll have much luck using one on hardibacker. I know I didn't. Best thing I've found is an impact driver and a careful eye.

·
From Philadelphia
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, I've been using my impact driver and a careful eye as well. The careful eye part is pretty time consuming. It would be nice to just screw screw screw screw instead of screw...check to make sure head is slightly below...check again...screw, check, screw, check, etc.

I like the idea of the clutch, by my impact driver doesn't have an adjustable one.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I don't like either impact drivers or relying on clutches to set the depth for drywall screws. Different areas of the wood will have different resistance, so the clutch won't be a consistent gauge. And an impact driver is just the opposite of what you want. You'll have no feedback or slowdown when the screw gets deep. Everyone I've seen use an impact driver does a crappy job installing drywall, and they don't seem to understand that breaking through the paper just ruined that attachment point.

The only fast and correct ways to do it are to use a dimpler, or to use a dedicated drywall screw gun.

Seattle2k is correct in that a dimpler bit is opposite to the design of a square drive. A Phillips is designed to cam out, and a square is designed to not cam out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts