DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Wire Chewer
3,599 Posts
Are these higher end clocks that sync up to a NTP server by chance? Maybe the problem is with the NTP server.

I'm thinking it's related to a time space continuum issue though. Do you live near a power substation? If yes try to find out it's capacity. If it's over 1.21GW look for some crazy looking guy with a Delorean hanging out near there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I once built a digital clock from TTL 74xx chips (this was 30 years ago).
It worked fine, was synchronized to the electric frequency which is very accurate so it worked very well *until* I switched off my old tube radio.
Suddenly the clock had jumped many minutes ahead.
I flipped the switch a few times and the clock was now hours ahead.
Then I understood - the switch was dirty so it caused a series of
contact/no contact transitions. The radio was plugged into the same
circuit that ran the clock, so the series of pulses from the radio's bad
contact caused the clock to see a large number of counts to increment
its time and that is what it did....
I added a filter in the clock and could switch the radio off without the
clock jumping ahead.
You may want to check if there is a particular activity or appliance use
that makes the clock advance.
Just try each switch in the house and check the clock regularly until
you have found the offender.
Then decide if you want to / can plug it into another circuit or try a filter
for your clock.
Success,
Cor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No NTP servers there. Substation several miles away. I'll be checking to see where the TARDIS landing marks are... Thanks Cor. Gotta get back there and check the other circuits.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
No NTP servers there. Substation several miles away. I'll be checking to see where the TARDIS landing marks are... Thanks Cor. Gotta get back there and check the other circuits.
heee heee he. Maybe there's a time lord on the forum who can help. :laughing:

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
hey, I just happened to think about this:

any correlation to the problem and the Large Hadron Collider? After all, they were concerned about creating black holes.:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am so sorry to report that analytics cannot begin until i get back to home base. I am so looking forward to continuing this thread with verifiable facts. . . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm Back!
Update, if anyone is still [interested]
Since I've been back, have tested clock on other circuits with the same result. It drives the fellow who keeps an eye on the place while I'm out of state absolutely mad!
Not having needed the alarm function for several years, and having decided to set said alarm in order to keep an early appt, the deed was done.
Ha! While alarm function is set to on, no advancing whatsoever. At all. Turn that alarm off, and back [or forward as it were] we go!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Are these higher end clocks that sync up to a NTP server by chance? Maybe the problem is with the NTP server.

I'm thinking it's related to a time space continuum issue though. Do you live near a power substation? If yes try to find out it's capacity. If it's over 1.21GW look for some crazy looking guy with a Delorean hanging out near there.
I like to think of it as just synched to an NTP server on a vehicle slowly moving across time zones...

Space time continuum is less likely because you have to have a reference, and are coming back to the clock's frame of reference to read it. I suppose if you accelerate and decelerate more than it does each day and come back to reference then theoretically less time will have passed for you... but you're talking fractions of fractions of a millisecond when dealing with terrestrial acceleration.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
I'm Back!
Update, if anyone is still [interested]
Since I've been back, have tested clock on other circuits with the same result. It drives the fellow who keeps an eye on the place while I'm out of state absolutely mad!
Not having needed the alarm function for several years, and having decided to set said alarm in order to keep an early appt, the deed was done.
Ha! While alarm function is set to on, no advancing whatsoever. At all. Turn that alarm off, and back [or forward as it were] we go!

So, uh, what state did you travel to that it took you 4 years to get back?:laughing: Do you have one of those scam - artist power saver devices on your electrical panel? Purchase one of those Kill-a-Watt power meters and plug your clock into it. It has the ability to show the power line frequency. I'm curious.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
Most of my clocks (non-appliance) have a radio connection to a synchronous satellite that they "talk" to hourly to adjust the time. This even includes several battery powered wall clocks ($10 - $25 each) that have the same ability. I just bought 2 plug-in - AM/FM digital alarm clock radios with snooze and choice of alarms notification that have the same ability and a lithium back-up battery. - You just tell the clock your time zone, whether you are in DST or not, set within an hour or so and push the set or go button. You just sit back and it makes a connection and sets/adjusts the clock hourly. Bullet-proof for $20 each.

Dick

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.