DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the practical differences between main lug panel and a sub panel? Do they serve the same exact purpose? Does a main lug panel always need a disconnect?

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
A main lug panel can be a subpanel. If the subpanel is in the same structure as the panel it is fed from, it doesn't need a disconnect other than the breaker that supplies it. A main lug panel could be used in a detached building if the panel had 6 or fewer breakers.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
A main lug panel does not have a main breaker.

A subpanel is any panel that is not the service panel.

Reactions: mpoulton

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, if I am understanding you correctly, I could install a main panel off my main panel and it would be called a sub panel because it does not contain the main service feed?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Thanks Guys, if I am understanding you correctly, I could install a main panel off my main panel and it would be called a sub panel because it does not contain the main service feed?
"Main breaker" and "main panel" are not the same thing. A main-breaker panel is one which has a single large circuit breaker that disconnects the panel bus from the source of power. A main-lug panel does not have this. Either type can be used as either a main panel (connected directly to utility power without a disconnect ahead of it), or a subpanel (fed by an upstream disconnect). A main-lug panel used as a main panel must have 6 or fewer disconnects in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts