DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 8 huge elms that sit in my yard. I've moved into my house in 3 months ago and about 4 cleanings of full gutters and the basement getting some water after this last rain storm. Gutters where over flowing. I went ahead and installed one 3 x 4 downspout to see if the larger opening will help the flow of water and see if the gutters get less clogged. I've never seen a good review on any leaf guard system. Have anyone noticed a difference switch switching? Thanks

·
Drywall contractor
2,151 Posts
I've got the "Gutter Guard' system on my house and haven't had any problems. They ARE pricey, but I haven't had to get on the roof in the last 4 years (which my wife likes). The guarantee say if they ever clog, the company will come out and unclog/fix the problem. I understand that a lot of the systems (mine included probably) don't work well on steep pitched roofs (mine's 4&12). The water tends to "shoot" past the gutter instead of "rolling" into it. I notice that in torrential downpours I have water getting past the gutters, but regular gutters (even with no leaves) probably couldn't hold that much runoff. Worth looking into.....

·
Registered
873 Posts
the bigger downspouts will indeed help.

They carry twice to thre times the water in a fast rain,and thats when you need them the worst.

Plus the plugging factor. Try those cheapie snap on plastic leaf guards and then a pipe high enough with a nozzle that you can spray them out standing on the ground. It leads to longer life spans(and less climbing)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I use a cheap and dirty expanded plastic mesh in my troughs. It comes in rolls that are approximately 6" wide.
Its run under the support brackets.
It works well, and I recommend it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good deal on the leaf gaurds. Thanks for the info on them I will have to look into them better. Its just every review I have ever read was bad. Good to hear from a real person that they work. About the difference in down spouts have anyone ever notice a difference between the difference sizes

·
11,730 Posts
Be safe, G

1 - 8 of 8 Posts