DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance. We're in a three-year old home with an unfinished basement. I'm getting ready to install can lights so we have more than the two single-bulb fixtures down there now.

In planning this out, I discovered something I wasn't expecting. So, apparently the wire from the breaker-box into the basement (14-2) enters the box for the second light fixture which is then wired with 14-3. The electrician wired the black wire from the breaker box to the black of the 14-3 through both light boxes all the way to the light switch.

At the switch box (2-gang) that black is pigtailed off in a couple different directions (all with 14-2) EXCEPT the light switch in question. The black pigtails to the switch, which is then wired to the red from it's own 14-3, meaning the juice travels back up along the same path.

I hope my description makes sense. I understand they try to save on material, but I'm wondering if this is an appropriate use of 14-3? It never would have occurred to me to wire like this.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It's called a switch loop. Common to see it done with the black and white wires so your electrician went one step further and used a cable with an additional hot wire in it to make sure no one got confused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts