DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shower pan in my master bath started leaking and I am replacing it with a new shower pan because fiberglass was weak and flexing. So I took out a row of 12" cultured marble tile and replaced the shower pan. The drywall at the bottom of was bad so I went up another row to get to sound backing and I put in about 18" DensShield I did not realize that I needed to use alkali resistant mesh when I taped it and used mold resistant mesh with the latex modified thinset. ... So how bad off am I? What do I do to correct it, or should I just press on.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Just press on---the mesh will have a shorter lift--but not necessary to redo it==

Did you add a waterproofing to the top of your repair?

That would be a good touch--Red Guard ?

As you have learned the hard way---drywall of any kind is a bad backer for tile in a wet area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All

I was a bit down and wondering if I should just tear it all out and start from scratch. Red Guard at Home Depot only comes in a $50.00 container, I suspect Hydro Ban might be more expensive. I guess it is worth it to cough up the $50.00 even though I don't need much for the small area.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Either one is good. two coats and it is water proof. I like hydroban better works better in preventing cracks in the tile work as well Hydro ban from lati-crete is around 75 dollars per gallon and well worth it. think of it as do I want mold and rot and redo this again?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.