DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Longtime viewer of this forum, first time posting. I’m a new member. I’ve searched the forum and can’t find the answers which pertain to my particular situation.

Background-

We recently bought a Tudor built in 1923, moved in 1981 to its current location to an adjacent lot. The house previously had no basement. When it was moved, a basement foundation was poured and the house was bolted to the foundation. This structure may have been originally constructed with either timber framing or balloon framing. It’s a two story home with finished attic and basement.

Issue(s):
Upon inspection it was called to my attention that a toilet leak was present on the main floor. After moving in I found evidence of the leak in drywall in the basement. A small closet sits directly below the toilet which I cut out the drywall in the top of to have access to under side of the toilet. After looking at the damage I opted to replace the toilet completely because under it was a mush of dry rot. The rot extends slightly under a wall. I cut out about a 1’ by 1.5’ square between two joists. I cut the subfloor halfway on each joist and attached the remaining uncut subfloor with strong screws. I used a bondo to fill the little damage to the area which runs across the 2nd half of the joist where the wall did not permit me access to address the issue further.

Feeling uncomfortable with my approach, a handyman/home inspector finished the job he used a poorly cut piece of 3/4” plywood and attached two 2x6x4 cleats to either side of the joists using a 2 1 2 1 2 screw pattern. No blocking was installed. The finish flooring is hardwood with a laminate or vinyl tile over it. He did not fill the 3/4” space left void by the cut out hardwood. A 1/2” piece of OSB was laid in the place of the missing tiles. The OSB was then attached to the plywood with screws and the flange. Two screws were used to keep the OSB in place until we refloor the bathroom.

Since this repair, the whole floor system feels compromised or at least affect. The floor is soft in areas and appears to be actually pushing out. A rise and fall sensation is also present. A host of other things feel like they are issue feel like they are the result of this repair but I can’t be sure. One thing for sure is that I have seen that the joist were previously shimmed and are cracked. Area where the repair was performed shows a spaying of part of the sub flooring. A rise and fall sensation can be felt on both floors of the house when walking on top the floor. The shims on the joists has fallen out and the joists appear be a moving a bit. Any attempt fix on my part has been unsuccessful. Waiting on a contractor. Thanks in advance.
Wood Line Gas Hardwood Beam

Brown Wood Floor Flooring House

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Flooring Tints and shades

·
Naildriver
19,962 Posts
The digonally installed 1x subflooring is good. You will be layering over it with at least 1/2" plywood, so it should firm it up pretty good. What will be your final flooring?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The digonally installed 1x subflooring is good. You will be layering over it with at least 1/2" plywood, so it should firm it up pretty good. What will be your final flooring?
Thank you for your reply. We’d like to do ceramic tile down the road. The 1/2” OSB fills the gap left vacant by the removal of the hideous vinyl tiles. So there’s no problem with the gap which remains under the OSB where the hardwood flooring was cut?
Wood Window Rectangle Floor Beige

1 - 11 of 11 Posts