DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My home A/C stopped cooling and called in a tech for a diagnosis.

Came over and checked pressures and superheat only and thought everything was good. Inside the home, the A/C is on and the compressor outside is running, but it's not cooling. He thought it could be the air handler (?) and changed it from low speed to high speed. Didn't help at all.

Called the techs again for a recall and told them the symptoms were still there and the AC was not cooling. A different tech from the company comes in and checks pressures, superheat and subcooling. Pressures good, superheat extremely high, and subcooling good. He thinks it's a bad TXV.

Cost to replace TXV is extremly high (almost $1k), so I'm trying to determine if I can confirm his diagnosis and then possibly fix it DIY or to cut costs by having techs do portions (evacuation and vacuum) and I do the other parts (brazing the replacement TXV and recharging the system).

Any help in diagnosing this TXV first and then any help on getting it replaced for less money?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Txv is supposed to maintain a fairly constant superheat. A grand would be very high here but might be the going rate where you live.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is correct, a TXV is supposed to maintain a constant superheat. In my case, the superheat is much too high, but that's a symptom of low charge as well as a bad TXV. I think since the subcooling is good then maybe the TXV is indeed bad. Just wanted a confirmation as well as any tips to do the replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts