DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an area of lawn that was dominated by an assortment of crazy weeds, sedge's and annual grasses. Previous owner neglected it for years.

I finally bought the evergreen electric dethatcher and after about 10 passes I finally got up all of the thatch that I could.

Here is a photo of what is left. Not sure if this grass is annual or perennial.

I over-seeded with Scott's Kentucky Blue Grass Mix. If it spreads like I hope, I should be all set.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where are you located?
In most places, the hot, dry summer months are not a good time to put down seed.
Early spring better, or September better still.
Michigan, and I totally agree with you about the timing. I chose to overseed now before it gets too hot, and I'm planning on using pre-emergents in the fall and spring, so I wanted to avoid conflict with the pre-emergents this year.
We do have a sprinklers, so consistent watering isn't an issue.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Hope you over-seeded after the big storm, or I am not sure how much is left, if you got as much rain as most people.
Over here, the City hydro-seeded a big plot near me last Thursday. By Sunday, it was all gone.

I think I had 14 bags when I dethatched my old lawn.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope you over-seeded after the big storm, or I am not sure how much is left, if you got as much rain as most people.
Over here, the City hydro-seeded a big plot near me last Thursday. By Sunday, it was all gone.

I think I had 14 bags when I dethatched my old lawn.
Oh, I made that mistake. I overseeded and the storm hit and it all got washed away. So I re-overseeded yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.