DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://db.tt/T5wuuIs

I'm trying to install a GFCI safety outlet in my apartment (into a electrical box that wasn't being used). Upon inspecting the wiring, I discovered that there were three identical black wires (all 3 being copper).

What is the best way to determine which wire is which?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
scuba dave is correct about you not being able to work on the electrical system in an apartment.

beyond that, based only on the wiring color, there is no neutral in the box you have there. The only time I typically run across the wiring you have is when there was a switch and there was two switch legs off the switch. If that is the case, you simply could not just install a recep at that box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I ended up hiring an electrician. He is coming by tomorrow. I know that there had been a washer and dryer combo hooked up to this before but for some reason they took out the outlet before I moved in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Electrician saw the photo and agreed with you but added he can probably still get a neutral from the light position in the ceiling. But won't know until I have tested. Does this sound realistic?

·
Electrician
818 Posts
Electrician saw the photo and agreed with you but added he can probably still get a neutral from the light position in the ceiling. But won't know until I have tested. Does this sound realistic?
Sure.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Let the electrician trace that conduit and see where that goes look like it was used for some kind of appalince before somecase if you have all three black conductors there very limited area I know some case you will get three phase there { normally found in older window shakers or other specal items but again that is pretty rare. }

I think he can get a netural in there but becarefull where you get the netural from that all otherwise it can overload it if not aware with it.

Merci.
Marc

·
Wire Chewer
3,585 Posts
As long as that light is on the same circuit, it's probably ok to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts