DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting to rocker swtiches and found out some of my hot wires are white and others black. Is this normal?

I thought White was suppose to be wired to the power source. Red always seems to be a traveller.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
White can be a traveler or the hot feed to a switch. This means that there is no standard for 3 way switch loop wiring color. White may not be the switched line to the light or other load.

Neutrals must never be switched. Therefore white to a switch is assumed to not be neutral. Non-neutral white wires need to be tagged at both ends with a band of red or black tape or stain.

A nearly (not 100%) reliable method of finding a hot lead is to test its voltage to ground.

·
Tool Geek
2,590 Posts
For quick checking the presence of AC voltages I use a Voltage sniffer.
These use a non-metallic plastic tip probe so it is not necessary to contact metal. The probe will light up and beep when held close to an AC source.
The El-Cheapo 70-1000VAC model: HF Non-Contact Voltage Tester

The sniffer that I prefer is adjustable from 5-1000 VAC so it can be used on low voltage lights, door bells, and thermostat wiring.
Greenlee GT-16 - Non-Contact Adjustable Voltage Detector, AC 5-1000V

The precaution is that like digital voltmeters they can give false positives.
To verify AC voltage rather than using a DMM I prefer a WIGGY, because of its low input impedance will not read phantom voltages as seen sometimes on DMMs.
Klein Tools: Electrical Testers - Wiggy Solenoid Voltage Tester

The name Wiggy is copyrighted so here is the Gardner Bender copy:
Gardner Bender at Lowe's: Solenoid Voltage Tester

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.