DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we are putting a 4" concrete slab in the entire backyard, the electrician put the PVC conduit raceways for gfi 110v in a 4-5" deep trench which will be covered by 4" of concrete. Inspector failed us stating it needs to be in a 6" trench? Nec 300.5 allows for 4" deep if under 4" of concrete. They cited NEC 680 something about being near a pool, which there is a pool in the yard also but the pool is more than 5ft from the conduit? Who is right?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Standard 18-24", depending on what the Orange County AHJ code office states on their online portal for codes. Keep in mind that you also are dealing with more stringent codes because you are in Earthquake country.

California has its own set of codes that trumps the NEC. They are about the most stringent, next to Chicago and New Jersey.

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
NEC and CEC Tables 680.10 both say 6 inches of cover when PVC conduit is under 4 inch slab.

I wouldn't waste time arguing whether 300.5 or 680.10 should be in effect. The inspector made his call.

I would start digging and move the project along.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
The inspector is right because he is aware of the local code requirement.

National and state, county codes are just minimums, but a locality can over-ride the model codes any day of the week as long as they do not weaken the previously established codes.

Dick

·
Registered
714 Posts
The inspector is right because he is aware of the local code requirement.

National and state, county codes are just minimums, but a locality can over-ride the model codes any day of the week as long as they do not weaken the previously established codes.

Dick
I agree about 5" being a inch short but where or what is the local code you cite.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This is true. They need it to be legit though. An inspector can't just come in and site a code violation with nothing to site. I read NEC 300.5 table as 4" of cover in a raceway and 6" of cover for direct burial. There could be a local amendment that supercedes it.
I could also be missing something in the NEC. I'm curious what oso says about this as we seem to be reading the table different.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
This is true. They need it to be legit though. An inspector can't just come in and site a code violation with nothing to site. I read NEC 300.5 table as 4" of cover in a raceway and 6" of cover for direct burial. There could be a local amendment that supercedes it.
I could also be missing something in the NEC. I'm curious what oso says about this as we seem to be reading the table different.
They do not have to cite a code section. If they look at it or drop the end of the tape measure into the hole and cannot be resolved in a minute or so. They will note what they want and tell you if they will be back later in the day or next day.

When I had my deck built last Summer. They ran into a bunch of buried rubble that was used as fill. The inspector would not pass one of the holes, because of a huge section of concrete and just verbally stated how much more that he wanted it.

It took half the day for them to use a Jackhammer to get through the rubble and get down to 36".

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
I agree with your reading of NEC 300.5.
But, from the OPs post, he said that the inspector cited "680 something".

Table 680.10 has the cover requirements for wiring/conduit around pools.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Right. I thought 680.10 was that electric not required for the pool can't be within 5 feet of the inner pool wall. But, if there's no way to be more than 5 feet from the pool you have to use 680.10 table. Doesn't sound like it applies here since the conduit is more than 5 feet.
I think the inspector is wrong.

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
The Inspector may be wrong, but I am not sure of how good of a description we are getting on this. In any case, a DIYer should not try arguing code that he doesnt really understand, with an Inspector based short answers from a forum. If anybody wants to debate the code, it should be his "electrician" or contractor, not him.

Meanwhile, times a wastin. How long does it take to remove a couple more inches of dirt from that trench.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.