DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the sink isn't really possessed, but I am close to calling an old priest and a young priest.

My bathroom sink has had issues for a while now and has recurring drain problems. I have tried everything from snaking it to compressed air to Roto-Rooter drain cleaner to no avail. The drain clears for a couple weeks and then clogs back up. If that was still the issue, I could live with it and just deal, but now it is doing something that I cannot explain.

For the past week or so my sink has been filling up on its own. The odd part is that it is filling up through the drain with CLEAN water. Nothing downstream from my sink is clogged (the toilet flushes fine and the tub drains great) as far as I can tell. I have no other plumbing problems in the house anymore except for the dang bathroom sink. The sink doesn't fill up fast, but I am certain it would overflow in one day if I didn't bail it out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I would rather not have to pay somebody to take care of the problem for me and really can't afford it either. To top it off, I'm a Baptist and can't perform an exorcism myself either :laughing:. Hope to hear some sage advice soon. Thanks in advance.

Scotty

·
Registered
30 Posts
how old is this house? is it a second floor bath? are there bathroom about it? is there a crawl space or access to the plumbing beneath the bathrrom? give us alittle more infoand maybe............

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
I'm sure you checked but could it be the tap is leaking? Maybe it's not dripping but just leaking along the tap then into the sink, or something.

The fact that it's clean water makes it really strange for sure. Try to pour some colored liquid down maybe just water with food coloring. It will rule out that it's water from the drain. (make sure the liquid you put stays in the P trap).

Actually has it been raining a lot, and is your plumbing vent near that sink, maybe rain water is somehow getting in from the vent.

I'm no expert so maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are definitely not crazy, I have checked everything that you have mentioned.

I do know that it is coming in from the drain. I put that to the test last night. I put a rubber stopper in the sink and put a brick on it for weight. That kept the water out until the pressure built enough to push past it. It took a couple of hours for water to show up, but when it did, it came in pretty quick until it reached the level it would have been at had I not plugged it.

My goal was to see if the water came up anywhere else. That would have given me another clue to the mystery. SO far, though, I need to find a bigger weight:thumbup:. If I don't get it figured out soon, I will likely call a plumber.

Thank you for replying. My posts had a lot of views with no replies for a while. At least you took a stab at it:thumbsup:.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No crawl space and it is a downstairs bathroom. I sit on a slab. Not certain what other info is needed. I'm definitely not a pro and plumbing is the worst for me.

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
Wow this really sounds like an interesting problem! I'd probably get a plumber involved at this point too and be sure to stick around as I'd be really curious to know what is causing it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long is "awhile"? Is it a seasonal issue? Any blueprints or build specs around? Vent diameter/location/distance/P-trap configuration(s)?

Your whip this demon Scotty! Particle Beam Accelerators may be your niche but these darn turd lines aren't as technical!

How many drains on that leg of the waste line is there? Where's the vent located for the line? Is it in front of or behind your "demon"?

Get Spock to dig up this info for ya Scotty! I'm thinking it may be a Romulan issue at hand here, not demons!

I never saw an episode of Star Trek where Scotty transported in a "Plumber"!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts