DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Watts hot water recirculation system with a sensor valve / manifold below my Delta faucet with these wonderful PEX C lines. Waaaaay too long. They need to be CUT.

Reading a similar thread to this one it appears cutting them is a potential problem. The local yocal at the home store sold me a pair of standard Watts 3/8" plastic ferrules with brass tube inserts included. They look narrow and I don't plan to cut anything until I am sure they or something will work.

Does anyone know the correct ferrule to buy / use after I cut off the ferrule that is presently on the line ends??

·
Premium Member
12,588 Posts
I find a way to loop the supply lines and hook up without cutting. If I remember correctly, there is a tag that says 'do not cut'...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after further searching . . . I found the original install instructions for the faucet. It included:
-- part numbers for the sleeve(ferrule) and gasket
-- instructions on HOW to cut the tubes squarely
-- nothing in there about NOT cutting them or details about the gasket and sleeve other than DELTA's part numbers.

Apparently, this "Innoflex PEX type C" is ONLY made for Delta and you can't buy the nuts, sleeves, or gaskets from anyone else from what I could gather.

Regardless, it was painful, but I ALSO found a way to loop the PEX so as not to cut them. Doing so was not possible though without the PEX tubes squeezing down on the center-mounted drain lever. This prevented it from operating. SO, additionally, I had to mount fasteners to press the two tubes out and away from touching the drain lever.

With the complications of stiff PEX lines pressing the drain lever, a rats nest of tubing under your sink, and TOTALLY EXCESSIVE numbers of adapters and fittings to futz with while in a very awkward position, it is hard for me to understand Delta's justification for forcing PEX C and no cutting of lines on the installer. At a minimum it seems reasonable to include one extra set of sleeves and gaskets for later use in modifying the install.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, you can cut them and just use the plastic beveled ferrules. The Delta supplies are the same material as a pex supply line, Do NOT use the brass inserts. They are for a different type of tubing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that makes sense not to use the inserts, probably for typical Nylon plastic tubing. . .
However, I noticed that the Innoflex PEX type C on this Delta faucet also uses a gasket right on the front edge of the tube in addition to the ferrule/ sleeve. SO, I am still hesitant to use a Watts plastic sleeve alone-- not made "for" PEX, not made by Delta, no application data telling me the bevel angles are the same as that required for the compression nut supplied by Delta. Also, I am not saying it won't work, just not willing to risk it.

by the way, I never did receive any response from Delta to my email inquiry on this subject.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the correct ferrule to buy / use after I cut off the ferrule that is presently on the line ends??
Old thread, but posting the answer just in case someone else googles this.

I found that 3/8" Delrin compression sleeve (ACE hardware #41286) will work on the cut water supply lines of a Delta faucet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts