DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a super-duper dehumidifier to dry down a very wet basement/cellar. The best that I can find online is 70-pints. Does anyone have a recommendation for something stronger that won't require new mortgage, perhaps $200-$400? It needs to drain into sump pit. Also, it would help if it were Energy Star to avoid blowing breaker and shutting off sump pump. I know, I know, I need to do some breaker box updating. Please help with advice. Thank you.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
A dehumidifier is like running a good sized AC
If your basement is wet it may run non-stop
Its better to fix the problem then use a band-aid

Have you already tried a 70 pt model?
I actually have (2) in my basement, one was $75 off craigslist

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
I found that a dehumidifier + industrial fan works well. The dehumidifier only remotes humidity from air that passes through it, so if you get a large fan to move the air around it will help.

I have one in my basement I run all the time, mostly to help deter spiders (spiders like it damp, and don't like it dry). If your basement is actually wet, and not just humid, I would fix that problem, but in the meantime you can still use the dehumidifier.
I've been wanting to mod mine so I can attach a hose to it and let it drain. I have to empty it every 2 days or so. When I first put it it would run for no more then 4 hours but now I got rid of most of the humidity. It was just a build up. Now it's fairly nice and dry. On the low setting it actually gets nothing.

This is the one I have:

http://answers.canadiantire.ca/answers/9045/product/0435434P/questions.htm

It's actually incredible the water you can pull out of the air with these.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts