DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement once got muggy, so I got a dehumidifyer. At the same time, I noticed that the previous owner had shut all oll the vents, so that didn't help because the air wasn't being moved or conditioned.

The dehumidifyer works extremely well. After a short while - it's so dry in the basement that things are crispy. You can feel the dryness.

But isn't there a danger here? I've taken precautions to make sure my outside drainage is right, etc. etc. There are no leaks, no sources for added moisture, etc.

But by running the dehumidifyer - couldn't that actually suck moisture in from any hairline cracks that may be behind the walls, or from other sources? So by running it constantly (or leaving it on auto) - I'm bringing moisture through my space that wouldn't naturally have been there?

I can picture a hairline crack behind drywall that wouldn't normally have been an issue - and the dehumidifyer sucking moisture through that crack, and the area behind that drywall getting mold.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
I don't think it'll work that way. However, you DO want to leave SOME humidity to keep things at a normal range, so I'd turn it off once in a while, or use the humidistat if it has one.

DM

·
Registered
78 Posts
From my own reading ideal for health humidity is at least 30 pct and under 50, so I agree you can save on your electric bill by using the auto setting. I'm very skeptical dehumidifying the indoors could create any moisture in foundation cracks or such that wasn't there to begin with. There was a recent post in this forum where some people costed out the electric usage of a dehumidifier - you might want to look for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts