DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I bought a new refrigerator and it won't fit through the kitchen doorway. I need to cut an inch off the doorway so the fridge will fit. There is no door or jam,it is just a doorway. I would appreciate any ideas on how to do this including what the best tools would be etc..even with the doors off it wont fit

Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would first look to see if you can't remove the door on the fridg. That would be a lot less work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Making a doorway bigger

Hello, I bought a new refrigerator and it won't fit through the kitchen doorway. I need to cut an inch off the doorway so the fridge will fit. There is no door or jam,it is just a doorway. I would appreciate any ideas on how to do this including what the best tools would be etc..even with the doors off it wont fit

Thanks

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
If you cut the drywall off the frame (careful with a utility knife to cut through multiple times) you should gain about 1" (assuming 1/2" drywall on the insides of the doorway opening). It may fit through.
After, reinstall drywall and Bob's your uncle.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Post a picture---there has to be a 'wrap' on the opening---drywall or wood casing---drywall adds 1" --

take a hammer and tap on the corner --the mud will fall off---exposing a metal corner bead---remove that--then remove the drywall.

If it's got wood trim---carefully cut the caulking--pull the trim--then remove the wood jamb.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Did you try taking the door off first?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Goku---stop duplicating this post----You are making a lot of work for us moderators.

I loose most of the posts that I have to merge together----

1 - 8 of 8 Posts