DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own an old Kenmore Chest Freezer. Model # 198.8173815. I currently have it plugged in to its own separate 120V wall outlet. I am about to move and I know there are no seperate 120V wall outlets where I am going to place the freezer in the new house. My question is....can I just plug it into a regular wall outlet in the garage...Prob. 115V or should I get an electrician to wire a seperate 120V to where I am going to put the deep freeze.
According to the tag on the freezer here is all I know about it:
4.4 Amps....60 Hz....1 Phase.....115 Volts.....DOM:01/86
Thanks for any help!!!

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
My first choice for a food freezer is to plug it in to a single receptacle that's connected to a lighting circuit. That way you'll know if it has lost power. Food is expensive!

My second choice is a dedicated circuit.

Since the current is low, it'll likely work just fine on any circuit available.

One thing to watch out for, sometimes there's a GFI receptacle in the garage, and the bathroom receptacles are fed from it. This way, the bath receptacles are GFI protected, as required by code, but it's often a 15 amp circuit. A hairdryer loads a 15 amp circuit to the gills, and if the freezer is running, it might trip the breaker.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.