DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife would like to place some decorative rebar in our backyard. I went and bought 1" rebar and need advice on how to anchor it into the ground.
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Handwriting

The pieces will stick out about 5 ft. I was thinking of sinking them 1 ft into the ground, but in order to keep the spacing even and the stick perpendicular and parallel with each other, would weld them to a 3" wide and 1/8" thick plate.
I have the ability to cut (bandsaw for rebar, plasma for the plate, so can cout a curved profile) and weld. This is the look we wish to achieve:

Plant community Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Wood

What are the best practices to anchor this into the ground? Many thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a large hammer and pound them in.
Our soil is pretty hard so if I hit one rock am stuck, and I would like to assemble this first to ensure even spacing and parralel position. So as I am hammering this assembly of 5-6 sticks, odds are, one will hit a rock. Not sure how to proceed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the purpose of the plate?
Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing. Would like to have the sticks stay vertical and parallel, and ensure even spacing. If I just brute force hammer them into the ground, they will not be even.

Am open to any alternative solution though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you can weld, get weldable rebar, fabricate your bottom plate with most of the rebar an inch through the plate.
Every foot or so leave a hole in the plate empty (or drill an extra one between posts), dig a small trench just below ground, brace your assembly in place.
Then drive rebar through the available holes to a depth for anchoring.
Then weld the plate to the anchor driven rebar.

That should keep your assembly uniform and in place.
Just don't drive vehicles into it :rolleyes:

Just shooting from the hip

Reactions: KoenBro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can weld, get weldable rebar, fabricate your bottom plate with most of the rebar an inch through the plate.
Every foot or so leave a hole in the plate empty (or drill an extra one between posts), dig a small trench just below ground, brace your assembly in place.
Then drive rebar through the available holes to a depth for anchoring.
Then weld the plate to the anchor driven rebar.

That should keep your assembly uniform and in place.
Just don't drive vehicles into it :rolleyes:

Just shooting from the hip
Liking this very much! Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can weld, get weldable rebar
I have already bought the rebar and cannot return it as i had the 20’ sticks cut into half so i can transport them. I hope they are weldable. Isn’t plain rebar weldable?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing. Would like to have the sticks stay vertical and parallel, and ensure even spacing. If I just brute force hammer them into the ground, they will not be even.
use a jack hammer then. that is how electricians drive in 8' long 1/2 diameter copper grounding bars. they will be even, just place a spacer like a 2x4 in between each segment. all this welding and stuff is not needed. would be better to weld the plate on the top so no one gets hurt trying to jump over them. kids have dumb ideas.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have already bought the rebar and cannot return it as i had the 20’ sticks cut into half so i can transport them. I hope they are weldable. Isn’t plain rebar weldable?

Well yes, although I have read some is not. That might be for construction specs though.
Try a piece if you have a welder, see if it works well. After all this is only decorative.

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts
Our soil is pretty hard so if I hit one rock am stuck, and I would like to assemble this first to ensure even spacing and parralel position. So as I am hammering this assembly of 5-6 sticks, odds are, one will hit a rock. Not sure how to proceed.
Then weld the rods to your plate with nothing sticking out the bottom. Drill some holes in the plate and drive some rods through the holes to hold it in place. Add some extra holes so you can use a different one if you hit a rock. Weld a cap on the rod so when it hits the plate it will hold it and not go all the way through. If you can dig a hole deep enough the buried plate will be enough to hold up without any rods.

·
retired framer
51,234 Posts
Bend 2 pieces of 3/8 rebar in the shape you want, weld the bars to those pieces. dig a trench and install them.
Rectangle Font Cylinder Parallel Tints and shades

·
Registered
574 Posts
would be better to weld the plate on the top so no one gets hurt trying to jump over them. kids have dumb ideas.
I did enough jumping over and off of fences and other random structures as a kid, in both my yard and others around the neighborhood where I wasn’t supposed to be, to know that this is a liability in addition to an eye sore, in my opinion. I hope nobody gets impaled on one of these, falling onto it while playing or during an emergency.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bend 2 pieces of 3/8 rebar in the shape you want, weld the bars to those pieces. dig a trench and install them.
View attachment 664526
Man I love this idea; even easier than making a plate.

In the first iteration will be a straight line but the customer (=wife) may decide to change that at the last moment

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did enough jumping over and off of fences and other random structures as a kid, in both my yard and others around the neighborhood where I wasn’t supposed to be, to know that this is a liability in addition to an eye sore, in my opinion. I hope nobody gets impaled on one of these, falling onto it while playing or during an emergency.
Yeah that’s a bothersome thought. We hope to surround it with thick plants including cacti so one can’t reach them, much less climb them. Dunno, still thinking about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts