DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using the Timbertech aztec decking with a picture frame on a 32x16 deck.

I am curious how others are handling the rail posts. The decking comes in 3 1/2, 5 1/2 and 7 1/4.

When I put the picture frame is it expected that there would be no overhang on the board?

Or there is a notch made and just an empty space on the overhang were the post is situated?

·
Registered
935 Posts
In the first place I use double rim joists so the edge of my frame is 3". I notch my 4x4 posts and bolt from the inside of the frame so 1-1/2" sits on top of the inner rim joist. I scribe the deck boards around the 4x4 and I overhang the outer rim joist by 1". That gives the outer edge of your picture frame 1-1/2" bearing on the outer rim plus the 1" overhang. When you cut the deck board around the post make sure you leave an appropriate expansion gap. The gap will be covered by Timberteck's base molding so your cut doesn't have to be perfect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.