DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've hired two different contractors to construct a deck at our home. The first deck framing had to be removed because there were many code violations and unsafe construction. When removing the framing we discovered several boards with these fluted nails. We think they resemble nails used to attach concrete to wood. The contract specified galvanized nails for the decking. Are these OK to use?

Attachments

·
Registered
37,378 Posts
Wrong nails!
They should be using decking screws not nails!
The box needs to say ACQ approved right on the box.
The rim joist should use Timber-Loc screws.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Regular deck have more resistance to pulling out than nails. Nails are not as brittle as deck screws and have more strength in shear applications. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and need to be used in their proper places. There are screws specifically made for shear applications. The nails in the picture do indeed look like they are for masonry applications, wrong for a deck.

·
Big Dog
3,216 Posts
When I rebuilt my deck, the only nails used were those holding the joist hangers and the hurricane ties. Everything else is screwed or bolted.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Im surprised you could cut through those nails, they look like hardened concrete nails. And as far as i know they are not available for nail guns, they have to be hand driven one at a time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts