DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to repair a few problems with my deck. It is connected to the second level of the house in the back,
and 10' x 16'.

There is a bow in the header or rim joist at the outside end. It is pulling away from where it's connected to the joists
at a 90 degree angle. It is largest at the center, and smaller to the left and right
There is also a bow in the center post just below the the most bowed part of the header. Using a level, it shows the
post to be level for the first 4 feet nearest to the ground, and it bows out just like the header

How can I eliminate the bows in the header and the posts?

The 6 support posts are made with three 2x6 boards joined with nails. They seem to be in good condition, but there is
a small gap between most of them. I would like to secure them together with carriage bolts or hex head carriage bolts to
eliminate the gaps. What type, size, number and location of bolts should be used?

·
retired framer
52,262 Posts
I am looking to repair a few problems with my deck. It is connected to the second level of the house in the back,
and 10' x 16'.

There is a bow in the header or rim joist at the outside end. It is pulling away from where it's connected to the joists
at a 90 degree angle. It is largest at the center, and smaller to the left and right
There is also a bow in the center post just below the the most bowed part of the header. Using a level, it shows the
post to be level for the first 4 feet nearest to the ground, and it bows out just like the header

The 6 support posts are made with three 2x6 boards joined with nails. They seem to be in good condition, but there is
a small gap between most of them. I would like to secure them together with carriage bolts or hex head carriage bolts to
eliminate the gaps. What type, size, number and location of bolts should be used?
Bolt the posts together with 1/2" hex head bolts with nuts and big washers all Hot Dipped Galvanized.
You might pull the rim in with a tie on a joist and a bolt thru the rim.
Rectangle Wood Parallel Font Plan

Font Parallel Circle Slope Diagram

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and 10' x 16'.

Wood Shade Beam Floor Hardwood
Wood Rectangle Shade Beam Sky
Wood Shade Rectangle Sky Beam
Wood Fence Brickwork Wood stain Tree
Window Building Wood Textile Door

·
retired framer
52,262 Posts
2 for each post 3 ft from the bottom 3 feet from the top.
1/2x 6" HDG
Rectangle Tool Font Office supplies Screw

Grey Circle Auto part Font Metal
Body jewelry Jewellery Auto part Nickel Ring

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I agree with the 1/2” bolts, but I would be tempted to use 3 per post. Use the hex head bolts, not carriage bolts.
Need better pictures of the rim joist issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with the 1/2” bolts, but I would be tempted to use 3 per post. Use the hex head bolts, not carriage bolts.
Need better pictures of the rim joist issue.
This picture shoes the gaps between the joists (one is 2x8, other 2x4) and what I call the rim joist that should meet them at a 90 degree angle.

Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Water Sky

·
retired framer
52,262 Posts
This picture shoes the gaps between the joists (one is 2x8, other 2x4) and what I call the rim joist that should meet them at a 90 degree angle.

View attachment 665577
That where you use this with a bolt to fit the hole in it and long enough to go thru the post and bolt to the bracket.
Rectangle Wood Parallel Font Plan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That where you use this with a bolt to fit the hole in it and long enough to go thru the post and bolt to the bracket.
View attachment 665578
Yes, but I don't know where to buy a bracket like the one you show. The closest I can find so far is this one. I can bolt it to the joists and the rim joist at a 90 degree angle. Hopefully I can tighten and eliminate the rim joist bow.

Organism Font Rectangle Circle Magenta

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK. I plan to use the 1/2 hex bolts, 2-3 per post and 6 inches long with washers for the post gaps.

Thanks for the information on where to get the Simpson Strong DTT2Z strong ties. Do you think that the strong tie model A24 (in my previous post) would be a better choice? I think it would be stronger because I can use the 1/2 bolts to connect it at both ends (to the joist and to the rim joist with the bow). I would like your opinion.

Attachments

·
retired framer
52,262 Posts
OK. I plan to use the 1/2 hex bolts, 2-3 per post and 6 inches long with washers for the post gaps.

Thanks for the information on where to get the Simpson Strong DTT2Z strong ties. Do you think that the strong tie model A24 (in my previous post) would be a better choice? I think it would be stronger because I can use the 1/2 bolts to connect it at both ends (to the joist and to the rim joist with the bow). I would like your opinion.
No not strong like the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. I'll be using the 1/2 hex galvanized bolts, nuts and large
flat washers to make my connections. Do I need a lock washer also? If I do, what kind should it be?
Rectangle Tool Font Office supplies Screw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts