DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am building this deck basically. it's 22 ft total width. i am trying to figure the stairs. they will terminate on the lawn which is level going away from the deck, but side to side it slopes from a total rise of 23" on the left to 26" on the right spanning about 18 ft.. the 23" end is good for 3 rises but the 26" end exceeds the 7 3/4" maximum rise, so 4 rises would be needed. so the question is how to account for this difference. adding in dirt or digging out more to level the ground is out of the question for this large of a span, so i figure i'd either taper it off by doing 4 rises starting at 26" and have the low end have a shorter ( 3 1/2") first step, or go with 3 rises starting from the 23" and have the high end have a extra high ( 10 3/4 ") first step. Of course either way the stair treads would be level when finished. or should I do something else altogether? again leveling the ground is out.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Where the stairs will be, it must be landscaped level so that the risers are even throughout. Removing the earth would be better. Adding may be easier but it takes time for the added earth to settle as well more possibility of washing away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The deck is not attached to the house, it's freestanding so it already has 8 footings . adding more seems crazy. i guess this is why i have never seen a full width stair deck in real life. who in their right mind would build such a monstrosity? you guys have made me decide not to build this thing and now my wife wants a divorce.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The deck is not attached to the house, it's freestanding so it already has 8 footings . adding more seems crazy. i guess this is why i have never seen a full width stair deck in real life. who in their right mind would build such a monstrosity? you guys have made me decide not to build this thing and now my wife wants a divorce.
So you supported the deck well with footings.Why is it crazy to support the steps as well?

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
This isn't exactly rocket science. Calculate the stairs for the average total rise and then lengthen one side stringer and shorten the other to suit the actual ground. Set a brick on the ground for the stringer to land on. Tweak the height to suit the actual length of the stringer.
I have done it on stairs where there was a sloped asphalt driveway and it works fine.
Of course, you need to taper the bottom riser to fit along the ground, but again, that is not rocket science either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This isn't exactly rocket science. Calculate the stairs for the average total rise and then lengthen one side stringer and shorten the other to suit the actual ground. Set a brick on the ground for the stringer to land on. Tweak the height to suit the actual length of the stringer.
I have done it on stairs where there was a sloped asphalt driveway and it works fine.
Of course, you need to taper the bottom riser to fit along the ground, but again, that is not rocket science either.
that was pretty much what my first thought was you just worded it better then i did. anyway the design has changed to only wrapping the stairs around one corner and going across the front about 4 ft instead of the full length so it's not really an issue now anyway.:wallbash:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.