DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to add some lattice under my deck. The deck is about 16' wide and 12' deep. The plan is to attach 3/4" lattice directly to support posts underneath and attach a 1x4 board overtop to hide the seams. I may put 1x4s as trim along the bottom as well. I have a few details I am still trying to iron out. There are only four support posts and they are along the side opposite of the house (one in each corner and two in between). The 16' side will have the lattice seams at the support posts, but the 12' sides have no posts near where the deck attaches to the house nor anywhere in between to have a seam. The headers sit anywhere from 9" to 30" above the soil.

The details I am trying to iron out are:
1. How should I create a support for the lattice seams where there is no post?
2. How should I support the bottom of the lattice?
3. I would like to put an access panel or gate on one of the 12' sides.
4. The yard is very uneven and I would like to leave as little space at the bottom as possible. I have a mid to large size dog that like to get under there that I want to keep from getting under there.

What is the usual method here? Should I use 2x4's to make a frame?

I dont have a photo of it at the moment but being the nerd I am, I have a google Sketchup model of it amnd I have attache a screenshot of it.

Attachments

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,294 Posts
I would be putting up a P T posts and lumber framework to hang the lattice on.

Concrete the posts in, or use post risers to keep them off the footer. At the house and center of the span, with 2X 8 PT buried between posts and up enough to attach the latticing on.

This is a simple construction, and if built right is "BULL TIGHT", meaning that a Bull can't tear it down.

ED

·
Usually Confused
6,554 Posts
With your dog you need something more than just decorative. A 2x frame along the top and bottom will provide good support between the posts. You could cap the lattice with some 1x to give it a better appearance. To support the spans between the posts, you could cut in angled braces to run between the bottom 2x and a joist.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have done this a bunch of times. PT two bye four frame, rabbet up the middle of each piece, lattice cut to fit in middle, screw together. Sort out your panels so that things look even, bottom two bye can be buried a bit at some points depending on the ground slope. Panels I made are about four feet wide each. Mine are simply scared through the top of the panel into the deck film joists.....and then to each other...land then to whatever posts there are. Remove any at any time. Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts