DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend any of these products? Not stains or paints, but the relatively new coatings that supposedly fill in cracks, etc. My deck boards are pressure treated 1X6 and in decent shape but showing some cracks, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
These new products are exciting in principal, if they work. I have seen a few cases of early failure from them, including a test deck I did on my own home.

My test deck was almost a worst case scenario. It gets full sun all day long and is only about 2 1/2 feet from the ground. Olympic Rescue failed miserably within 9 months, peeled and faded from a dark red to almost pink.

I'm hoping some of these products end up performing better than initial observations suggest, but at this point I would be nervous applying them to a customer deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,409 Posts
Far better to use new boards or bite the bullet and go with composite.

·
Premium Member
7,899 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Anyone recommend any of these products? Not stains or paints, but the relatively new coatings that supposedly fill in cracks, etc. My deck boards are pressure treated 1X6 and in decent shape but showing some cracks, etc.

Thanks
with out seeing cant tell for sure but Sherwin Williams deck scapes in a solid stain can give life to an old deck .roll it on and back brush it .don't be stingy put it on at a proper spread rate .tho s/w does not clam this ,at least I don't think they do,it kind of binds and fills cracks ,and gives a very nice finish:yes:

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
the commercial with all those people dancing in their bare feet is just appalling and ludicrous:censored:
idk. if this stuff is put over raw wood, that isn't in bad shape, it might be nice. at least for a lil while. but from what i saw, the stuff isn't thick at all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Whether it is the Behr Deckover, the Olympic Rescue It, or the Rustoleum restore, they pretty much apply the same. If you look at product reviews, they range from very good to very bad. The products are thick, they do not go very far, and they run about $30 per gallon. Regardless, if you are coating cracked or deteriorated wood to dress it up, it will not adhere for long (especially where there is freeze thaw).

·
Premium Member
7,899 Posts
From Deckstainhelp.com:

Cons of Deck Resurface Products

What tests are showing is that these products are prone to peeling despite what the manufacturers are claiming. With any film-forming product, peeling is always an issue. It still seems to stand true that anything subjected to the elements will not hold up for more than a couple of years.

Another issue with the deck resurfacing products is that they create a whole host of maintenance and removal issues. With conventional wood restoration, the ease of maintenance using a wood stain is what helps the deck look so good for many years. It also allows you to easily remove the product if you want a different look. With deck resurfacing, maintenance is almost non-existent and good luck trying to remove such a thick heavy product. Basically once the product is on the deck you are stuck with it.

The cost per square foot for a deck resurface product is extremely expensive. This is mostly due to the horrible coverage rate of these product(s). The average cost is around $1-2 per foot. This is astronomical compared to the more conventional wood restoration stains.

These products are also known to become very hot when exposed to direct sunlight. This can make the entire deck space too hot to enjoy or to walk on with bare feet.

So despite the manufacturers claiming the product lasts many years, we are hearing reports and seeing firsthand these products failing and peeling within 2 years. It is expensive to apply, has a horrible coverage rate, and is hot to the touch in direct sunlight. In our opinion, a deck resurface product is really more than an expensive alternative. It is not a smart investment and will only add to the problem and cost of a neglected deck.

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
well my neighbor won't like hearing that. so i won't tell her.

after it has been on a while, and is peeling badly. i wonder just how hard it would be to sand and/or scrape it off ....

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
from deckstainhelp.com:

Cons of deck resurface products

what tests are showing is that these products are prone to peeling despite what the manufacturers are claiming. with any film-forming product, peeling is always an issue. It still seems to stand true that anything subjected to the elements will not hold up for more than a couple of years.

Bingo!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts