DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My deck railing are in very poor shape, you can see they have been braced at the top, and they lean very badly. The railing spacing is also very large much bigger than any mother would want. (Sorry for the large pictures I hope they will show as much detail as possible but i hope the board will auto resize them)

I think the main reason why the post are able to lean out and feel so very unsafe is how they are connected to the deck.

The deck posts have been notched and 3/4 of the material has been removed. I am not engineer but I feel this is not not enough material to anchor a post.

My plan is to replace all 18 of these posts and then rebuild the railings.

I have tried to sketch out my plan based on what I have read but I wanted to see if it made sense. The posts are going to behind the rim jost and not not notched.

I have tried to label things to make sure they make sense just in case I have the wrong terminology.

Connection 1 was going to be 2 galvanized carriage bolts (1/2")
Connections 2 for the blocking where going to be galvanized nails from a framegun
Connection 3 was going to be a single galvanized carriage bolt (1/2")

I was not sure if I needed the extra blocking that connection 4 shows.

My questions what do you think of my method of blocking to sure the post ? and the type of fasteners I am using, eg do you think that if I use 3 1/2" carriage bolts I will weaken the post ?

Please let me know your feedback on the design or any other pointers you might have. The deck is evaluated and the posts I am replacing are just railing posts they are not the posts used for supporting the deck.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,430 Posts
Yes you need the blocking.
No need for any nails in the post or that third bolt, just two at point 1 through the blocking and the rim will hold it just fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you need the blocking.
No need for any nails in the post or that third bolt, just two at point 1 through the blocking and the rim will hold it just fine.

Glad you agree on the blocking, I was not going to nail the post but use carriage bolts, I was just not sure on what size bolts I should be using eg too big could weaken the post too small might not do the job.

The nailing was going to be for the blocking connecting to the rim joist or should this be screwed ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts